Women's Leadership Initiative
Established in 2014 by the President's Gender Equity Council, the Women's Leadership Initiative has enhanced the leadership potential and skill sets of undergraduate women leaders and increased the visibility of women leaders on campus.The Women's Leadership Initiative offers a forum for undergraduate women leaders to discuss how leadership plays a role in their undergraduate careers and learn from fellow women student leaders about the struggles and triumphs of leadership. Members actively share their knowledge and skills with others on campus and within the Lubbock community. Members of the Women's Leadership Initiative learn how to promote equity in leadership and participate in networking events with outstanding student leaders and distinguished professionals who have paved the way for women in their fields of expertise.
Out of all nominees with completed applications, we intend to select no more than 15 members.
The basic qualifications to be eligible to apply are as follows:
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Applicants must be enrolled at TTU as sophomores or juniors during the 2017-2018 academic year
As listed below, the Women's Leadership Initiative requires a time commitment on your part. For example, the Women's Leadership Initiative typically hosts one event each month, and to maximize the benefit of membership, members are required to attend all official WLI events. To further develop their leadership skills, members also must maintain a weekly office hour in the Women's Studies Program office and must serve on a committee. Additionally, members are encouraged to attend events that are not sponsored by the Women's Leadership Initiative, as attending other events will enhance their overall membership experience.
How to Apply:
Submit the following documents to TexasTechWLI@gmail.com by 5:00 pm on March 31, 2017.
- A completed Application.
- A current resume.
- All documents should be submitted as PDF documents.
- The subject line of the e-mail should read Re: [Your Name] WLI Application.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Monica Gomez (WLI Membership Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Time Commitments:
- Paying membership dues of $25 at the time of acceptance.
- Attending WLI meetings every other Sunday from 7:00-8:00 pm.
- Maintaining a weekly office hour in the Women's Studies Program office.
- Serving on a committee and attending committee meetings.
- Attending every WLI professional development module.
- Attending optional events sponsored by other organizations.
- Attending the one-day Women's Leadership Initiative Conference.
- Applications are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, March 31, 2017.
- You may be notified to schedule an interview with the WLI Membership Committee. These interviews will take place April 3-12, 2017.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the Women's Leadership Initiative on or before Friday, April 14, 2017.
- If accepted, you will be required to attend the WLI Conference, which will be from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Thursday, April 20, 2017. Excuse notes will be available for classes missed on this day. April 20th, 2017: $25 dues will be collected
We look forward to receiving your application!
The Women's Leadership Initiative Membership Committee,
Monica, Davina, Taylor, Kat, & Lorena