Women's Leadership Initiative
Established in 2014 by the President's Gender Equity Council, the Women's Leadership Initiative has enhanced the leadership potential and skill sets of undergraduate women leaders and increased the visibility of women leaders on campus.The Women's Leadership Initiative offers a forum for undergraduate women leaders to discuss how leadership plays a role in their undergraduate careers and learn from fellow women student leaders about the struggles and triumphs of leadership. Members actively share their knowledge and skills with others on campus and within the Lubbock community. Members of the Women's Leadership Initiative learn how to promote equity in leadership and participate in networking events with outstanding student leaders and distinguished professionals who have paved the way for women in their fields of expertise.
Out of all nominees with completed applications, we intend to select no more than 15 members.
The basic qualifications to be eligible to apply are as follows:
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- All applicants must not be a graduating senior during the academic year for which they are applying.
As listed below, the Women's Leadership Initiative requires a time commitment on your part. For example, the Women's Leadership Initiative typically hosts one event each month, and to maximize the benefit of membership, members are required to attend all official WLI events. To further develop their leadership skills, members also must maintain a weekly office hour in the Women's & Gender Studies Program office and must serve on a committee. Additionally, members are encouraged to attend events that are not sponsored by the Women's Leadership Initiative, as attending other events will enhance their overall membership experience.
How to Apply:
Submit the following documents to TexasTechWLI@gmail.com by 5:00 pm on March 8th.
- A completed Application.
- A current resume.
- All documents should be submitted as PDF documents.
- The subject line of the e-mail should read Re: [Your Name] WLI Application.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact WLI at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should be [Your Name] WLI Application Question.
Program Time Commitments:
- Paying membership dues of $25 at the time of acceptance.
- Attending weekly WLI meetings.
- Maintaining a weekly office hour in the Women & Gender Studies Program office.
- Serving on a committee and attending committee meetings.
- Attending every WLI professional development module.
- Attending optional events sponsored by other organizations.
- Attending the one-day Women's Leadership Initiative Luncheon.
- Applications are due at 5:00 pm on March 8th. If the 8th should fall on a weekend, applications are due the following business day.
- You may be notified to schedule an interview with the WLI Membership Committee. These interviews will take place March 18th through the 29th. Should the first day of interviews fall on a weekend, interviews will begin the following business day.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the Women's Leadership Initiative on or before April 12th. Should the 12th fall on a weekend, applicants will be notified of a decision on the following business day.
- If accepted, you will be required to attend the WLI Luncheon. Admitted applicants will be notified of the date upon admission into the Initiative. Excuse notes will be available for classes missed on this day.
We look forward to receiving your application!
The Women's Leadership Initiative Membership Committee