Celebrating Diversity: Focus on Black History
Photo: The Cotton Club of Lubbock, c. 1955 by Milton Adams
The Cotton Club, located at 6410 E. U.S. 84 outside the Lubbock city limits, played a vital role in the musical landscape of West Texas. It hosted many well-known musical acts including such legends as Elvis Presley, Fats Domino and Little Richard. The Cotton Club opened in 1938 under the ownership of Ralph Lowe and became one of the most important and most profitable places bands could play between Los Angeles and Dallas. The Club, which welcomed all artists of all backgrounds, races, and genres, offered a space in which then segregated Lubbock could come together to enjoy live music.
The 75 seats in the restaurant soon filled with people who not only enjoyed the food, but the company, the personality, and the charisma of Stubbs. A nexus of barbecue and blues, Stubbs invited everyone to enjoy good food and good music and offered a place for people of all races to sit together and the pleasures of creativity and generosity.
The restaurant became the hub of Lubbock's extraordinarily diverse music scene.Christopher B. "Stubbs" Stubblefield, Sr. opened the original Stubb's Bar-B-Q Restaurant in Lubbock in 1968 after learning to cook for large groups of people as a mess sergeant in the U.S. Army.
Photo: Statue of Christopher B. "Stubbs" Stubbefield, Lubbock, TX