If you still need to move out of the residence halls and you are not under a shelter-in-place order:
Are Texas Tech University Residence Halls Open?
At Texas Tech University, our first priority is the safety of our students and staff. We are encouraging students who can return to their permanent residence to do so and are providing housing for those who cannot. We are not displacing students and look forward to the time when we can again welcome everyone back into our residence halls and our campus.
To help manage this process, we have limited access to the residence halls for only those with Emergency Housing Accommodations. Please contact the housing office at email@example.com if you have questions or need additional assistance.
What happens if Lubbock is given a Stay at Home order?
The City of Lubbock is now under a Stay at Home order beginning midnight Sunday, March 29 through Friday, April 3. However, you are welcome to continue to keep your current check-out time or change it by utilizing the link below.
We ask you to utilize the utmost caution and follow all CDC recommendations related to the Coronavirus outbreak.
FAQ's Regarding the Mayors Stay at Home Order:
What is the procedure for moving out of the residence halls?
- If you are currently away from campus, you will need to sign-up for a check-out time.
Use this link to select a day and time. http://housing.ttu.edu/selectOption/moveout/
- Students can sign up for a day and time between March 23rd – May 15th to come and retrieve their belongings.
- This process allows us to manage the number of students in the hall and practice social distancing.
- ID access will only be active for students starting at the time signed up to check-out and then three hours after that designated time. (for example, check-out sign up time: 8:00 a.m., the ID access will be good until 11:00 a.m.)
- Remove all your belongings out of your residence hall room.
- Bring your own packing, moving, and cleaning supplies.
- Do NOT park in any disabled parking spaces or block a fire lane. Vehicles in violation will be ticketed and towed for safety.
- Double check all drawers, shelves, closets, etc.
- Only the Express Check-out process will be used:
- The Express Check-out envelope will be attached to the door for each student occupying the space. Additional envelopes will be available at the hall office along with the steps for checking out.
- When you have vacated and cleaned the room, please make sure you have checked off all the steps listed on the envelope and checklist document.
- Put your key in the envelope and drop the Express Check-out envelope in the outgoing mail slot located either near the desk or by the mailboxes in each hall except for the Sneed Office. For Sneed, there is a box located on the counter for the Express Check-out key envelope.
- There will be no room inspections upon check-out. However, egregious or intentional damages to the room may be charged to the resident.
- If a student has checked out or selected a move out time between now and May 15, 2020, a prorated refund will be processed for March 23 through May 16. This will cover the time between the end of spring break and the end of the housing contract term. Credits will be processed to the student's account. In order to expedite receipt of your funds, please sign up for My Direct Deposit.
- If you have already moved all of your belongings out and do not need to return to campus, please contact housing at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for returning your key and getting officially checked out.
- Please do not come to campus until your assigned time.
Can I return to campus to pick up personal belongings and move out later?
Students returning to campus will be required to check-out of their residence hall room. Exceptions will only be made for emergency situations and made on a case-by-case basis. If you have a question about returning to the halls to check-out, please contact the University Student Housing office (806) 742-2661 or housing @ttu.edu.
How Do I Sign Up for a Check-out Time?
- Use this link to access the sign-up page http://housing.ttu.edu/selectOption/moveout/.
- The number of students able to sign up for each check-out time is limited to five (5) to maintain social distancing and the safety of staff and students remaining in the residence hall. Students will be allowed to sign up for a check-out time each hour at each residence hall between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F and 10 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday beginning March 23rd – May 15th.
If I can't return to campus can I get assistance with packing and shipping?
Students who are absolutely unable to return to campus or make other arrangements to retrieve their belongings are encouraged to contact the University Student Housing office at email@example.com. Any arrangements approved will not occur until after May 15th.
What if I moved all my belongings out of my room and want to mail my key back?
Residents can mail their key back to University Student Housing following the specifications listed below. University Student Housing is not responsible for returned keys that are lost in the mail.
- We recommend you send the key Certified Mail or FedEx.
- Place the key in a sturdy envelope that cannot be easily damaged or opened by the key(s) inside. We recommended you utilize a bubble mailer/envelope. If you send the key(s) in a regular envelope, at least tape the key(s) firmly to a piece of card stock or cardboard and attach at least two-three stamps to compensate for the weight.
- Be sure to list your name, room#, and hall.
- Mail keys to:
3211 18th Street
Lubbock, TX 79409-1141
What is the Express Check-Out Process?
- Pick-Up the Express Check-out envelope attached to your door. Extra envelopes can be found in each respective hall office.
- Follow Check-out expectations on the express check-out envelope.
- Turn in your Express Check-out envelope via the outgoing mail slot for your residence hall or in Sneed place in the wooden box attached to the Hall Office shelf.
What are the expectations for cleanliness when I leave my space? Can I check-out cleaning supplies?
We ask that you remove ALL items, trash, and belongings. Do your best to clean your space with the supplies you have or bring with you. We will not be checking out cleaning supplies to limit germ transference from people handling the same objects.
Do You Have Carts Available to Check-Out?
We will not be checking out carts to limit germ transference from people handling the same objects. We recommend you bring dollies to get your belongings to your car.
How are you going to maintain social distancing when so many students are moving out?
- We will support social distancing through the check-out schedule we have developed.
- We encourage all students and others to practice social distancing during this time.
What is going to happen to my USPS mail and packages?
Students who do NOT have an approved emergency housing exemption and have already moved out, or are moving out of the residence halls on a specified date:
All information regarding mail and packages is subject to change.
- Any mail currently in the residence halls will be forwarded to your permanent address or to the address you provide through the link below. We will begin forwarding on April 1st through April 7th.
- If you have not updated your forwarding address by March 30th, we will utilize your permanent address. You can provide your forwarding address by going to housing.ttu.edu and filling out this form https://my.housing.ttu.edu/eRaider/forwardingAddress/index.asp.
- Anything received after March 26th and before May 15th (USPS mail and packages, UPS, and FedEx) will be collected at the Central Warehouse on campus.
- When we are permitted to resume normal operations, we will be utilizing the address provided to University Student Housing for mail forwarding or your permanent home address if no forwarding changes have been made.
- All mail will be returned to the sender after May 15, 2020. Please go to USPS https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm to update your permanent address.
- Please do not have packages delivered after you move out of the residence halls. Currently, FedEx, UPS, and other contractors do not allow for forwarding to another address. Their procedure is to return to the sender.
- MailTech can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is going to happen to my Amazon packages?
- Please do not send any packages to your residence hall address.
- Please go into your account if the package has not been sent yet and change the delivery method to pick-up at your local address or Amazon store.
- For students who have already checked out or did not pick up your packages before you left, MailTech can forward those packages already in our system or currently in transit. However, we cannot forward at the current time given the limited staff permitted on campus. When restrictions ease, we will begin forwarding your mail and any remaining packages. We must have a forwarding address on file via the housing website, or we will use your permanent address listed in Banner. Otherwise, they will be returned to the sender.
Dining Options Open On-Campus
Dining options and information can be found at
What about refunds?
If a student has checked out or selected a move out time between now and May 15, 2020, a prorated refund will be processed for March 23 through May 16. This will cover the time between the end of spring break and the end of the housing contract term. Credits will be processed to the student's account. In order to expedite receipt of your funds, please sign up for My Direct Deposit. Please see President Schovanec's letter dated 3/27/2020 for additional details at https://www.depts.ttu.edu/communications/emergency/coronavirus/
Will my financial aid change?
Please contact the Office of Financial Services to determine if your financial aid
will be affected.
If I have an outstanding conduct case, will I still have to meet with a conduct office? What happens with my sanctions?
Please contact the Office of Student Conduct to find out more information.
Content adapted from https://housing.utexas.edu/.