Students need to be moved out of their room 24 hours after their last final exam OR by Wednesday, May 12, 2021, at 10:00 am, whichever comes first.
The Residence Halls will close on Wednesday, May 12th, 2021, at 10 am. For more information, click on the topics listed below.
Your CA will hold a floor meeting in late April and cover info regarding the move out process. Be sure to attend this meeting as you will also need to sign up for a time to check out in person with your CA. If your CA is not available at the time you need to check out, they can help you sign up for a check out time with another CA. If you cannot attend the floor meeting, follow up with your CA about the information you missed.
- The Last Day of Classes is Tuesday, May 4th, 2021
- Individual Study Day is Wednesday, May 5th, 2021
24-hour quiet hours and study spaces will begin at 10 pm on Tuesday, May 4th, and will continue throughout the rest of the semester. Other than your hall, additional study spaces.
- Pack your belongings early. If you can, start taking your possessions home during weekends.
- Clean your room thoroughly to avoid being charged for cleaning. Make your room look like it is "Move In" ready.
- Leave all furniture and items that belong to Texas Tech University in the room.
- For all movable furniture rooms, place bed height in the 6th position.
- Attend your floor/courtyard closing meeting to make sure you are aware of checkout procedures.
- Set up a checkout time with your Community Advisor (CA).
- Fill out the Update Your Mailing Address form.
- Check your mailbox for mail and packages before you leave.
- Meet with your CA to go to your room and recheck your closet and all drawers for anything left behind.
- Leave your key with your CA, sign your inventory and take the back copy of the inventory form with you.
- Check your Raiderlink account three or four weeks after move out for any charges you may have incurred and pay for any items you know you are responsible for to avoid having a hold placed on your account. If you would like to appeal or learn more about a charge on your account, fill out the Appeal a Move Out Charge form.
- Please place all unwanted items, including bicycles, in the appropriate Give Before You Go bin.
- For questions about leftover dining dollars, visit Hospitality Services website.
- Leaving without checking out and leaving your room key in your room. This will result in an improper checkout charge and potentially a lock change.
- Leaving items in your car overnight because this is a high break-in time.
- Leaving items sitting in the hallway for long periods of time as it is a fire hazard and increases the chance of theft.
- Leaving leave your belongings unattended while moving them from your room to your car.
Due to COVID-19, residents will be required to dispose of their trash in designated dumpsters located outside their residence hall. Chitwood, Weymouth, and Coleman residents may dispose of their trash in the available trash chutes on their floor.
- Charges from move out will be posted within two weeks after move out to the student's Raiderlink account. Students will not receive notification if billed. It is their responsibility to check their account even after leaving TTU. Charges from move out will be noted as "Lock change/damage charges" on their account.
- Rooms must be clean at the time of checkout. Free cleaning buckets and supplies are available at the front desk of each hall.
- If a student feels a charge is not appropriate, they must appeal the damage charge within 30 days of it being posted on their account. All appeals must be submitted using the online form within 30 days from the billing date.
|Broken Light Fixture||$40 - $80|
|Repainting Wall Spots/Walls/Room||$40 - $700|
|Failing to Checkout with the CA||$50|
|Losing or Not Returning a Key||$50 Per Door|
|Leaving Trash in the Hallway||$50|
|Abandoned or Unremoved Property||$50|
|Cleaning for Dirty Room/Suite/Apartment||Starting at $75|
|Replacement of Missing Desk Chair||$80|
See a detailed list of Hall and Room Charges.
If you would like to appeal or learn more about a charge on your account, fill out the Appeal a Move Out Charge form.
Residents who are graduating on Friday, May 14th or Saturday, May 15th, 2021 will need to complete a Stay Late Request form. Graduating Seniors who have been approved to stay late will need to check out of their space by 10 am on Saturday, May 15, 2021.
Information regarding your individual move will be coming from the Hall staff in your current building. Please note information will be communicated as soon as it is available regarding your move via phone call and your TTU email account. Students should not attempt to move into their new room until instructed to do so by Hall staff.
Requests to stay beyond the residence hall closing date and time must be submitted by Wednesday, May 12, 2021, at 5 pm. Because the residence halls must be prepared for summer conferences, summer school, and various renovation projects, very few requests to stay late will be granted. Please note Contract Extension Requests will only be approved for the following:
- Graduating Seniors
- Residents assigned to West Village or Honors for Summer School during the Summer I session
- Residents who are employed for the summer by University Student Housing
Examples of Contract Extension Requests that will not be approved:
- Flight booked later than Wednesday, May 12th at 10:00 am
- Friend or relative graduating or participating in commencement
- Lease does not begin until June 1st, 2021
The last day for mail and package delivery for any non-summer residents will be Tuesday, May 11th, 2021. Please do not have packages delivered after this date as they will not be available for you. Be sure to check for any packages and/or mail prior to checking out. Please take a moment to complete the following information for mail forwarding, as any mail received will be returned to the sender if a Mail Forwarding Form is not completed.
- Donate clean items that are in good condition to Give Before You Go. You will find donation boxes in your hall's common areas. The bins are for donations, not personal shopping. Items will be donated to Goodwill.
- The following items will not be accepted and should be disposed of in the outside
- Mattress Pads/Egg Cushions
- Carpet Squares/Custom Cut
- Cinder Blocks
If you do not wish to take your bicycle with you, Transportation & Parking Services will take your donated bicycle in the Bikes for Cites program! You will receive one dismissed citation in exchange for your donated bicycle (specific citations excluded—see website).
- Drop off your bicycle at Transportation & Parking Services
- Email email@example.com to schedule a pick-up from your residence hall or on-campus location
Please make arrangements to transport your bike with you. Unfortunately, bikes cannot be stored for the summer using the bike racks on campus as these racks need to be available for use in the summer.
Personal belongings left in your room after you have vacated are abandoned property. These items will be inventoried, labeled, boxed up, and stored by University Student Housing and you will be charged $50.00 for this process. Abandoned items are kept for 30 days after students have moved out. University Student Housing Staff will send a letter to your TTU email account and your permanent mailing address to notify you to collect these items. Once you have been contacted, you can make an appointment to retrieve your belongings Monday - Friday between 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Attend the mandatory floor meeting in the last week of April. All residents will receive information about the checkout process and have the opportunity to ask questions related to closing.
- Check with your Community Advisor or Front Office if you have any questions about the check-out process
- Sign up for a checkout time with your CA - You will need to schedule a time to check out of your room with your CA. They will go through your room with you and assess the space to make sure there are no damages and that you have taken all of your belongings. If you don't sign up for a checkout time, you run the risk of having to wait for the CA to be available (remember, they have finals too). Wait times can be high during peak checkout hours so please schedule a checkout and factor these times with your departing schedule. If your CA is unable to check you out when you need to leave, check with another CA or go to the hall office.
- Clean the common space and room thoroughly to avoid being charged for cleaning. Each
roommate is responsible for the cleanliness of shared areas.
- Make the room looks "move in" ready. This means floor must be swept, drawers cleaned out, sinks cleaned, and surfaces wiped down. There should not be trash, dust, or dirt present in the room at the time of check out.
- All of your belongings must be removed from your space prior to checkout out. If you brought it here, you need to take it with you.
- Take out all trash. Trash rooms will be closed during finals, so trash must be taken to the dumpster.
- Be mindful that larger items may jam in the trash chutes and should be taken outside if it is too large.
- Please do not leave trash in hallways as this creates a fire hazard and makes hallways difficult to navigate.
- Close blinds and lock windows.
- There should be nothing left in the room except the furniture items that belong to University Student Housing. All belongings must be out of the room and should be in a vehicle outside of the building.
- A cleaning bucket will be available to check-out and use at the front desk of your hall.
- All furniture provided by University Student Housing should remain in your space. If it is not present at the time of your checkout or if it has been damaged, you will be charged for the items.
- Update your forwarding address.
- You must complete an in-person check-out with your CA at the allotted time. Please have Raider Card and key ready.
- You must be present for the entirety of your checkout. Failure to do so can result in an improper checkout fee.
- The checkout process typically takes between 15-30 minutes to complete.
- Your CA will meet you at your room at your designated check out time. You need to have your room key and Raider Card with you at the time of your checkout.
- Your CA will take your inventory form (the form you filled out when you moved in) and go through your room with you making sure nothing is damaged. If damages are found, that information will be noted on the inventory form along with the cost (if known).
- Your CA will ask you to clean areas you may have missed.
- If any items are still in the room, your CA will ask that you either take those items with you at that moment, throw them away, or place them in the donation bins in the lobby.
- You and your CA will sign the room inventory and you will turn in your room key to your CA.
- You will also need to go to the hall office to ensure that you check your mailbox a final time as well as collect any packages which may be waiting for you in the hall office.