Department of Design
Beginning Fall 2020, students (including ADM major, minors, and non-majors from retail, FASH) who are taking ADM courses (ADM 1303, 1304, 2310, 4307, 4310, 4389) will be required to purchase/or have their own sewing machine.
In addition, students (including ADM major, minors, and non-majors from retail, FASH) who are taking the following ADM courses: ADM 2310, 4307, 4310, 4389; will be required to have their own dress form.
All ADM studio courses will require students to purchase their own iron.
ADM 3310 students will be required to purchase a serger machine. See below for a list of suggestions to purchase.
For ADM major/minor students, they need to have their own sewing machine, dress form, and iron to complete the ADM degree.
Required irons must have the following functions: steam function and temperature control for various fabrics. The iron can be any brand.
Department suggested brands: Sunbeam (low), Black and Decker (middle), and Rowenta (high).
Required sewing machine with the following functions: straight stitch, zig-zag stitch, stretch stitch, and buttonhole function. Blind hem stitch function is optional but recommended.
Department suggested brands: Singer (low), Brother (middle), Janome or Juki (high).
Sewing machines are available from the following brands:
For questions about sewing machines, please contact the instructor of ADM 1303/1304 Construction, Professor Ashely Rougeaux-Burnes. Email email@example.com.
Required for ADM 3310 Knitwear. Note: This is not an exhaustive list. The machine needs to be an Overlock Serger with 3- or 4-thread capability at a minimum. It must also be capable of stitching a rolled hem. The below machines fit the requirements for ADM 3310.
- Janome - https://www.joann.com/janome-mod-8933-serger/15131964.html#srule=In-Stock%20Items&start=1
- Brother - https://www.amazon.com/Brother-1034D-Thread-Serger-Differential/dp/B0000CBK1L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=janome+serger&qid=1596645439&sr=8-2
- Singer - https://www.joann.com/singer-14cg754-serger/8694895.html#srule=In-Stock%20Items&start=1
- Best Value:
- Brother Strong & Tough - https://www.amazon.com/Brother-ST4031HD-Construction-Extension-Stitches/dp/B0741HM3HW/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=serger+sewing+machine&qid=1596644436&sr=8-5
- JUKI - https://www.amazon.com/MO-80CB-Free-Arm-Serger-Overlock-Machine/dp/B089G8Y4WK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=juki+serger+sewing+machine&qid=1596645354&sr=8-4
- Bernette - https://www.amazon.com/Bernette-bern-bernette-funlock-44-Funlock-44-Serger/dp/B06XHD2CMW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=serger&qid=1596645854&sr=8-7
- High Quality:
Required Size 8 (Bust 34-35", Waist 26 1/2", Hip 37" ). The mannequins should be as close to these measurements as possible. Slight variations are allowed. Dress forms are available from the following preferred options:
- Dress Forms USA- Missy/Female with collapsible shoulders, Size 8
- **Optional Pant Form- Missy/Female with collapsible shoulders, Size 8
For questions about the dress forms, please contact the instructor of ADM 2310 Draping Professor Rachel Anderson. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard Disk Capacity
Core i7 2400, 3.1 GHz or higher
240+ GB (SSD) or higher
16+ GB or higher
PC, Windows 10, Professional or Enterprise, 64 Bit (required)
Minimum Laptop Computer Requirements
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications.
- Processor | 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 or i9 quad-core processor, 2.4Ghz or greater
- Memory | 16GB RAM
- Storage | 512GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Display | 15 inch or larger, 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Video Card | Quadro M1200, Geforce GTX 470, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, AMD Radeon Pro 555X
- Networking | Wireless 802.11N and Ethernet adapter
- Operating System | Windows 10 or OSX Sierra or newer
- Warranty | 3 years or greater
- Recovery | OS installation media
- Backup | external hard drive
Apple Macintosh Computers
*Mac doesn't support Accumark Pattern Design system. PC is required for AccuMark use. The 15-inch Macbook Pro laptops exceed the specifications for the minimum computer requirement. Software programs required for use in some courses are only available on Microsoft Windows. To use this software, Windows will have to be installed on the laptop. Students are responsible for obtaining, installing, and maintaining operating systems on their computers.
Assistance with computer problems
For computer support visit the TTU IT help website or call 742-4357.
Limited support is available from the Department of Design IT staff.