Texas Tech Global Guides
What are Global Guides?
Global Guides are current TTU students who volunteer their time to mentor incoming international students.
All new international students will be assigned to a global guide who will help you as you adjust to life at Texas Tech and in Lubbock. Because they have already experienced the ups and downs of living and studying abroad, they are a great first hand resource to students. If you would like to read advice from our current global guides, visit their advice page.
How to Become a Global Guide
The International Global Guides program connects current Texas Tech University Students with prospective students to promote, share, and support their efforts to attend the university. Global Guides will also provide assistance with student life and retention activities through the Office of International Student Life.
Benefits of the Global Guide Program
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of TTU resources, history, & traditions
- Develop leadership, interpersonal communication, and social skills
- Build significant relationships with fellow Global Guides, new international students, and TTU OIA staff
- Meals during ISO and other OIA events
If selected as a Global Guide, student(s) will receive a stipend of $200 at the end of the semester for which they have participated based on the following expectations:
- Participation in the program for at least a full academic year is expected
- Must attend all training sessions
- Serve as a mentor for assigned incoming student groups
- Serve as a knowledgeable and friendly representative of TTU and Office of International Affairs (OIA)
- Attend monthly meetings
To be eligible, all Global Guide candidates must:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 TTU GPA during participation with the program
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas Tech University
- Be a full time sophomore, junior or senior undergraduate or graduate student
- Must have spent at least one year at the Texas Tech Lubbock campus
- Positive attitude and strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- One recommendation letter from TTU faculty or staff member
Applications will re-open in April 2021
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This years Global Guides 2020-2021