Texas Tech University

Transfer of F-1 Student to Texas Tech

If you have been studying at another institution in the United States in F-1 status and plan to enroll at Texas Tech University, you will need to complete an F-1 school transfer with the Office of International Affairs. You will first need to have an appropriate admission from a Texas Tech admission office. After admission to Texas Tech, you should complete the Incoming F-1 Transfer Form with the international office at your previous school. The international office at the last school you attended also must release your SEVIS immigration record to Texas Tech. Texas Tech will then be able to issue a transfer I-20 to you.

Upon arrival in Lubbock, students must report to the Office of International Affairs in the International Cultural Center at 7th Street and Indiana Avenue on the Texas Tech campus. Bring your passport, Texas Tech I-20, all previous I-20 forms, and your I-94 print-out or card.

Students who have completed a degree program at another school and have been authorized Optional Practical Training will need to provide a copy of the EAD card showing maintenance of continuous F-1 status. Keep in mind that your OPT employment authorization will end as of the SEVIS transfer release date.

Students who have been outside the United States for five months or more since last attending a school in the U.S. do not have to complete the F-1 transfer process, but must follow the arrival rules for initial entry into the U.S. by an F-1 student including receiving a new F-1 visa from a U.S. consulate outside the United States.

Students who will travel outside the United States for a short period of time before reporting to Texas Tech should discuss their plans with an International Student Counselor before making arrangements to leave the United States. In most cases, the student should re-enter the country with a Texas Tech I-20. 

Questions about the transfer process should be directed to an International Student Counselor at 806-742-3667. Questions about other matters related to attending Texas Tech (scholarships, housing, orientation, etc.) should be directed to the graduate or undergraduate admissions office.

The flowchart below provides an overview of the F-1 transfer-in process.

Transfer in Chart