Texas Tech University

Documents to Carry

Are you an international student traveling outside of the U.S. soon? Need to re-enter the U.S. without a problem? You can avoid a long wait in the airport immigration office by having these needed documents with you.

F1 Travel


An unexpired passport valid at least six months into the future

Travel Documents

I-20 or DS-2019

An unexpired I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature less than six months old. Read about how to get the required travel signature if you need to get a signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 before traveling..

Travel Documents

F-1 or J-1 Visa Stamp

An unexpired F-1 or J-1 visa stamp valid for further entries into the United States (Citizens of Canada do not need an entry visa). Read "How to Get a New Visa" if your visa has expired and what you need to do to get a new one.

Travel Documents

Proof of Financial Support

Proof of financial support as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. This may include personal or family bank statements, affidavits of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.

Travel Documents


We recommend that you also bring your TTU transcripts with you to show that you have been enrolled and are making progress toward the completion of your degree. You may or may not be asked for this documentation but it is better to have it, just in case.  This does not have to be an official copy.  It can be a printout of your academic transcript from your TTU account.