Updated Passport Processing Times
Updated October 2023.
For Students Who Have Applied for a Passport
Texas Tech understands many students recently applied for a passport in anticipation of a future study abroad program and may be waiting on receipt of the passport in order to participate. We are aware of extended U.S. Department of State passport processing times. As you get closer to your scheduled departure date and if you still have not received your passport, please consider the following options to participate in your study abroad program as originally planned.
- Continue to wait for your passport to arrive. Check your passport application status on the U.S. Department of State website.
- Consult with your faculty leader(s), your host university or program, and your Study Abroad Counselor/Engineering Program Manager about ramifications for missing class or program activities should your passport delay departure.
- Consider applying for Urgent Travel Services at a Passport Agency.
- Must have urgent international travel within 14 days.
- By appointment only.
- Will require travel to the Passport Agency to apply in person at your own expense.
Please contact your Study Abroad Counselor/Engineering Program Manager if you have questions. Texas Tech cannot intervene in U.S. Department of State passport processing procedures.
For Students Who Have Not Applied for a Passport
The U.S. Department of State has updated passport processing times and travelers may experience delays. If you applied on or after October 2, 2023:
- For routine processing, allow 8-11 weeks.
- For expedited processing, allow 5-7 weeks.
For more information, please review important updates on passport processing issued by the U.S. Department of State on October 2, 2023.
This means students interested in studying abroad in 2024 or beyond should apply for a passport now! Students who live in or near Lubbock are encouraged to utilize the Passport Office at International Affairs – conveniently located right on campus!
Learn more about the TTU Passport Office and call to schedule an appointment.