LGBTQIA Peer Educators Program
The Peer Educators Program is a student volunteer program for undergraduate and/or graduate students who assist with educational programming across the institution. Participating students are eligible to apply for future semesters upon successful completion of program expectations.
Meet Our Peer Educators
Alyssa Costa (she/they)
I'm just your friendly neighborhood femme lesbian! I'm a second-year student majoring in Psychology, with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies, in hopes of someday earning my Ph.D. While working in the office, I have become extremely passionate about researching and improving student housing for queer students. You can find me playing rugby with TTU's Women's Rugby Team, scare-acting at Nightmare on 19th Street, or performing onstage somewhere.
Ryan Perez (he/him)
Ryan Perez is a senior at Texas Tech University. He is a PreMed student majoring in Biology with a minor in Chinese Language. He is working with the Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement to spread HIV awareness, education, and prevention to the Queer community. He has a love for language and aside from English speaks Spanish and Chinese. After graduating Texas Tech, Ryan wants to continue his education at graduate school to study Infectious Disease and HIV.
Darci Williams (they/she/he)
I'm a queer, nonbinary student here at Tech. This is my third year studying Music Education, with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies. When I'm not at choir rehearsal, I'm probably reading gay books (Song of Achilles broke me), attempting to sew something, or making LGBTQIA+ buttons at the Office.
Apply to Become a Peer Educator
The application for becoming an LGBTQIA Peer Educator is OPEN! Please look at the information and requirements below:
- Full-time undergraduate (enrolled in at least 12 semester hours) or graduate student (enrolled in at least 9 semester hours) at Texas Tech University;
- Cumulative 2.50 out of 4.0 grade point average (GPA);
- Short Answer Questions (see below under Application Items);
- Resume that includes the applicant's extracurricular activities, honors, achievements, memberships, etc.; and
- Two (2) references.
- Assist in the delivery of two (2) pre-approved educational programs, including sessions held through IGNITE! Texas Tech's Program for LGBTQIA Allyship OR assist in the delivery of one (1) pre-approved educational program and the creation and hosting of one (1) approved social event.
- Volunteer 30 hours during the semester with no more than three (3) hours per week. The deadline for completion of volunteer hours is the last day of regularly scheduled classes.
- Participate in three (3) hour-long monthly development opportunities organized for
Applications will be reviewed by staff members of the Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement, with interviews being offered on a rolling basis. Ten (10) openings for this position are available each semester, with priority being given to returning Peer Educators who successfully meet requirements.
The deadline to apply for the Fall 2022 semester is April 29.
The application will close if all ten (10) spots are filled before the deadline!
If you have any questions about the program or the application, please contact the GA for Peer Education, Kaity Swecker, at email@example.com.