Queer Reads gives individuals interested in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual/ally (LGBTQIA) issues the space to explore texts and topics as they relate to the LGBTQIA community, with others who share their interest. This department-affiliated, registered student organization works to provide an environment in which to engage with others and to use the texts as a frame through which to delve into the issues concerning the LGBTQIA community. Queer Reads seeks to foster a climate that is conducive to academic, social, and cultural needs and interests of LGBTQIA students and others interested in exploring related texts.
Why Should I Participate?
- Participants make connections with others who have similar interests in LGBTQIA texts.
- Participants engage with literature outside of a classroom setting.
- Participants gain access to a safe space in which to explore LGBTQIA issues with textual frames and read texts that they may not have otherwise been exposed to.
What is Expected of Participants?
- Attend reading group meetings once per month (except when otherwise indicated).
- Commit to the group for at least one academic year.
- Provide feedback about the program to the group leaders.