Fall 2018 Student Survey
This survey was a way for the Library to find out what our students need and what areas we can improve on to better serve our patrons. The questions ranged from overall satisfaction to the specifics of what services you used the most. We received 8,782 student responses.
Overall experience rating
|Excellent||Acceptable||Poor||Never Used/Not Applicable|
|Assistance from library employees||4,071||2,670||151||1,890|
|Materials needed for research or coursework||4,140||2,902||166||1,574|
|Access to digital resources when off-campus or outside the library||4,274||2,812||192||1,504|
- 76% of respondents rated our Library employee assistance as either excellent or acceptable.
- Library spaces stood out as an area needing improvement as 4% of respondents rated them as fair or poor.
Redesigned website evaluation
We asked respondents to evaluate their experience using the redesigned Library website.
- 86% of respondents agreed that the information they needed was easy to locate.
- 88% agreed that the site allowed them to complete the tasks they needed to.
- 71% agreed that the site worked well on their phone and/or tablet devices
- 81% agreed that the overall website design was appealing.
|Excellent||Acceptable||Poor||Never Used/Not Applicable||Wasn't aware of this service|
|Phone charging stations||2,449||2,050||331||3,204||748|
|Drop-in assistance at a library service desk||2,553||1,908||126||2,493||1,702|
|Group study room reservation||2,371||1,974||192||3,183||1,062|
|Assistance via chat or text||1,987||1,509||151||2,225||2,910|
|Workshops or training sessions for a class||1,984||1,490||133||3,104||2,071|
|Scheduled assistance from the personal librarian for my major or department||2,042||1,443||113||3,061||2,123|
|Guest lecture by a librarian||1,949||1,404||129||2,994||2,306|
|EndNote citation manager||1,405||1,080||118||3,190||2,989|
|Crossroads Recording Studio||1,274||912||77||3,357||3,162|
We asked students how frequently they used specific services in 2018. These are the top 3:
- More than 7,080 respondents (80%) used the drop-in assistance at a library service desk (e.g., circulation, research help).
- Over 55% of respondents used the phone charging stations.
- There were 4,537 students who used the group study room reservations.
We're aware that printing is a widely used service in the Library. This survey gave us insight into what you expect from printing services. Our Library Technology Support Operations are reviewing findings from this survey and other student comments related to printing with the Campus IT Division.
Chat with or text a librarian!
Nearly 40% of students were unaware that there was a chat/text option available to access assistance from librarians. Look for the chat icon on the bottom right side of the website to start a chat session with a librarian for immediate help. The "Need Help?" menu option at the top of our website lists all the ways you can get in touch with us.
How we communicate with you
We asked students to choose their preferred method to receive information about Library services and events. Multiple selections were allowed.
We'll continue to post information about upcoming events to our website and to TechAnnounce. We're also working to create a new service where you can sign up to receive email updates automatically.
You told us how we helped
We received many comments in this survey about how we made a positive difference in your studies.
- "I love when the Librarian's guest lecture my classes. I learn so much about resources in the world."
- "Love the Library. I rented out some equipment recently to record a elevator pitch to be used in an interview process I'm going through. I think it gave me a leg up on the competition because other people just used their phones. So, I got high audio visual quality to set me apart from other candidates."
- "The librarians are expedient and most always have my online requests for document delivery and interlibrary loans readily available in a short time, and the online request service is easy to use."
- "Very well run department, always exceeds my expectations."
- "I really enjoy studying at the University Library. There are many different places. You can study alone on a quiet floor or meet with a group on the ground floor or basement. It is my favorite place to study."
As you can see, your Library is dedicated to helping you be as successful as possible by giving you assistance and access to necessary information, materials, and services.
*Data collected by Texas Tech University Institutional Research in Fall 2018 using Qualtrics. We received 8,782 student responses to the Library portion of the survey.