Graduate Application Procedure
To be accepted into one of the Masters or Doctoral Degree programs in music, the applicant must be approved by the Texas Tech Graduate School as well as accepted by the School of Music.
Steps for applying to the Texas Tech School of Music Graduate Program:
- Apply via the Graduate School.
A personal interview or audition before the appropriate divisional faculty is required for admission.
Performance or teaching videos/links and digital copies of written work are required as part of your application and are preferred prior to scheduling an audition or interview. If travel to Texas Tech University is not an option; telephone or online interviews may be possible.
Graduate Application Instructions
& Helpful Hints.
- Create a username and password and be sure to save this information to check the status of your application after submission.
- From the ADD PROGRAM tab, search for the Program Name: ie. Music Composition (DMA) and select the term
you wish to apply for.
- Please note, you can apply to more than one program at a time, but you will be charged $65 for each program you apply to. If you are unsure of what program to apply for, we recommend contacting Emily Gifford, Graduate Student Coordinator, for help in making your decision.
- On the MY APPLICATION tab, you can see the 4 sections of the application.
- Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information and Program Materials
- Begin by completing the PERSONAL INFORMATION section and choose complete next section, which will direct you to Academic History.
- ACADEMIC HISTORY: Add the High School and ALL of your previously attended Colleges and upload your UNOFFICIAL transcripts and GPA for each College attended. There are more detailed instructions for each of these on the application.
- SUPPORTING INFORMATION: You will only need to upload documents if the following apply to you:
- International Students English Proficiency Report
- Military Papers
- All other applicants may choose: I AM NOT ADDING ANY DOCUMENTS
- PROGRAM DOCUMENTS:
- Documents: Upload program specific requirements, such as CV/Resume, Personal Statement and Writing sample. The Writing Sample does NOT need a pre-approved topic; any scholarly paper that shows your writing abilities is acceptable for submission.
- Recommendations: Request letters of recommendation to be sent to your recommenders via email. There is currently not an option to upload a recommendation letter that you have been
given electronically or in hard copy.
- To upload any teaching or performance videos, please use the SlideRoom feature in
this section. If SlideRoom is not an option on your application, then it is not required, and you
can move to step 9.
- SlideRoom will open in a new browser window, so make sure your pop-up blocker is turned OFF or look for the icon showing that your browser has prevented a pop-up from opening!
- SlideRoom requires an account, so you will need to create a username and password specifically for this program. You can then upload your video(s) and/or links to your media content.
- Once all required steps have been completed you should see a SUBMIT icon. If you aren't able to activate the SUBMIT icon, check to make sure all required questions/documents have been submitted.
- You will now be directed to pay the application fee via credit/debit card.
CONGRATULATIONS! You've successfully applied to the Texas Tech Graduate School! After submission, you can check back regularly on the application site and see any updates to your application including additional requests for documentation, etc. Once an admission decision has been made; you will receive official correspondence from the Graduate School via email.
For questions about the School of Music Masters and Doctoral Programs, please contact:
Graduate Student Coordinator
Dr. Peter Martens
Associate Director for Graduate Studies