Calvin G. Barnes, Ph.D.
Professor of Geosciences
Department of Geosciences
Lubbock, TX 79409
- Petrologic studies in the Bindal Batholith, north-central Norway
- Granitic magmatism and the evolution of continental crust, Ruby Mountains, Nevada
- Tectonics and arc magmatism in the Klamath Mountains, Oregon and California
- Tectonic development and growth of continental crust of Texas
Dr. Barnes' area of expertise is igneous petrology & geochemistry. He has conducted extensive field-oriented petrologic and geochemical studies in the Klamath Mountains, California & Oregon, and the Ruby Mountains, Nevada. Along with collaborators at Texas Tech and the Norwegian Geological Survey, Dr. Barnes has spent the last decade studying the evolution of collision-related magmatism in the Caledonides of central Norway. In addition to these studies he is currently funded to work on the petrologic evolution of basement rocks of west Texas & eastern New Mexico.
- Barnes, C.G., Prestvik, T., Yujia, L., McCulloch, L., Yoshinobu, A.S., Frost, C.D., 2009, Growth and zoning of the Hortavaer intrusive complex, a layered alkaline pluton in the Norwegian Caledonides. Geosphere, v. 5, p. 286-301.
- Barnes, C.G., Frost, C., Yoshinobu, A.S., McArthur, K., Barnes, M.A., Allen, C.M., Nordgulen, Ø., Prestvik, T., 2007. Timing of sedimentation, metamorphism, and plutonism in the Helgeland Nappe Complex, north-central Norwegian Caledonides. Geosphere, v. 3, p. 683-703.
- Barnes, C.G., Dumond, G., Yoshinobu, A.S., Prestvik, T., Assimilation and crystal accumulation during construction of a mid-crustal magma chamber: The Sausfjellet pluton, north-central Norway. Lithos, v. 75, p. 389-412.
- Barnes, C.G., Yoshinobu, A.S., Prestvik, T., Nordgulen, Ø., Karlsson, H.R., and Sundvoll, B., 2002, Mafic magma intraplating: Anatexis and hybridization in arc crust, Bindal Batholith, Norway: Journal of Petrology, v. 43, p. 2173-2190.
- Barnes, C.G., Prestvik, T., Sundvoll, B., Surratt, D., 2005. Pervassive assimilation of carbgonate and silicate rocks in the Hortavaer ignesou complex, north-central Norway. Lithos., v. 80, p. 179-1999.
- Barnes, C.G., Prestvik, T., Barnes, M.A., Anthony, E.Y., Allen, C.M. 2003. Geology of a magma transfer zone: the hortavaer Igneous Complex, north-central Norway. Norwegian Journal of Geology, 83, p. 187-208.
- Barnes, C.G., Prestvik, T., 2000, Conditions of pluton emplacement and anatexis in the Caledonian Bindal Batholith, north-central Norway. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift, v. 80, p. 259-274.
- Barnes, C.G., Prestvik, T., Nordgulen, Ø., Barnes, M.A., 1992, Geology of three dioritic plutons in Velfjord, Nordland. (Nor. Geol. Unders.) Norwegian Geological Survey Bulletin, v. 423, p. 41-54
- Dumond, G., Yoshinobu, A.S., Barnes, C.G., Mid-crustal emplacement of the Sausfjellet pluton, central Norway: Ductile flow, stoping and in situ assimilation. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 117, p. 380-395.
- Nordgulen, Ø., Barnes, C.G., Yoshinobu, A.S., Frost, C.D., Prestvik, T., Austrheim, H., Anderson, H.S., Marko, W.T., and McArthur, K. 2008. Pre-Scandian tectonic and magmatic evolution of the Helgeland Nappe Complex, Uppermost Allochthon. 33rd International Geological Congress Excursion No. 35, 1-5 August, 2008.
- Prestvik, T., and Barnes, C.G., 2007. A new occurrence of aegirine in Norway. Norwegian Jounral of Geology, v. 87, p. 451-456.
- Yoshinobu, A.S., Barnes, C.G., Nordgulen, Ø., Prestvik, T., Fanning, M., Pedersen, R.B., 2002, Ordovician contractional deformation, magmatism, and rapid exhumation in the Caledonides of central Norway. Geology, v. 30, p. 883-886.