Clint Boal, Ph.D.
Department of Natural Resources Management
Phone: (806) 834-6536
Agricultural Sciences Building, Rm. 218
Box 42125, Lubbock TX 79409
My research is directed at addressing contemporary research and information needs of wildlife management agencies. Although this covers a broad spectrum, my primary research interests are the ecology and conservation of predatory birds and their roles in biotic communities, and the conservation of avian species in arid lands with emphasis on impacts of climate change and energy development.
- Ph D University of Arizona 1997
- MS University of Arizona 1993
- BS University of Arizona 1991
- Boal, C.W. 2015. Predation and Lesser Prairie-chickens. Studies in Avian Biology 49: In Press.
- Boal, C.W. 2014. Age-ratios and condition of en route migrant blackpoll warblers in the Caribbean. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 126:568-574.
- Grisham, B.A., P.K. Borsdorf, C.W. Boal, and K.K. Boydston. 2014. Nesting ecology of lesser prairie-chickens on the Southern High Plains. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:857-866.
- Perkins, R., C.W. Boal, D. Rollins, and R.M. Perez. 2014. Northern Bobwhite predator avoidance behavior in response to varying types of threat. Journal of Wildlife Management 78:1272-1281.
- Boal, C.W., and W.B. Ballard. Predator – prey relationships and management. 2013. Chapter 13 in P. Krausman and J. Cain, editors. Wildlife management and conservation: concepts and practices. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- Grisham, B.A., C.W. Boal, D.A. Haukos, D.M. Davis, K.K. Boydston, and W.R. Heck. 2013. The predicted influence of climate change on lesser prairie-chicken reproductive parameters. PLoS ONE 8(7):e68225, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0068225.
- Nishida, C., C.W. Boal, S. DeStefano, and R. Hobbs. 2013. Nesting habitat and productivity of Swainson's hawks in Southeastern Arizona. Journal of Raptor Research 47:377-384
- Schroeder, E.L., C.W. Boal, and S.N. Glasscock. 2013. Nestling diets and provisioning rates of sympatric golden-fronted and ladder-backed woodpeckers. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 125:188-192.
- Behney, A.C., B.A. Grisham, C.W. Boal, H.A. Whitlaw, and D.A. Haukos. 2012. Sexual selection and mating chronology of Lesser Prairie-chickens. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 124:96-105.
- Bibles, B.D., and C.W. Boal. 2012. Morphometric-based sexual determination of bananaquits (Coereba flaveola). Ornitologia Neotropical 23:507-515.
- Behney, A.C., C.W. Boal, H.A. Whitlaw, and D. Lucia. 2011. Interactions of raptors and Lesser Prairie-chickens at leks in the Texas southern high plains. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 123:332-338.
- Behney, A.C., C.W. Boal, H.A. Whitlaw, and D.R. Lucia. 2010. Prey use by Swainson's Hawks in the Lesser Prairie-chicken range of the Southern High Plains of Texas. Journal of Raptor Research 44:317-322.
- Boal, C.W., M.C. Wallace, and B.N. Strobel. 2010. Animal welfare legislation, legal requirements, and study considerations for raptor researchers in the United States. Journal of Raptor Research 44:268-276.
- Strobel, B.N., and C.W. Boal. 2010. Red-shouldered Hawk nesting habitat preference in south Texas. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 1:33-37.