Daan Liang, PH.D., P.E.
Professor of Construction Engineering and Engineering Technology
Department of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering
Phone: (806) 834-0383
Fax: (806) 742-3488
National Wind Institute Building
Lubbock, TX 79409−3155
- Post-Storm Damage Assessment,
- Remote Sensing,
- Distributed Wind Energy
Daan Liang is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering (CECE) and served as the Interim Director of the National Wind Institute (NWI) at Texas Tech University from 2014-2017.
Liang coordinated, supported, and participated in multiple large-scale proposals to the National Science Foundation (e.g. Hazards SEES, STC, NHERI, MRI) and to the Department of Energy (e.g. ARPA-E).
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (2001) – University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- M.S. in Civil Engineering (1999) – University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- B.Eng. in Engineering Management (1997) – Tianjin University, China
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- Interim Director of National Wind Institute 2014 - present
- Assistant, Associate Professor of Civil, Environment & Construction Eng. 2004-present
- Coordinator of Doctoral Program in Wind Science and Engineering 2013-present
- AMCC CORP., New York, NY
- Project Manager / Estimator 2001-2004
Selected Research Grants:
- National Science Foundation, "Hyperspectral imagery: a new frontier for windstorm damage assessment", PI with Brian Nutter, Kishor Mehta, $150,414, 2008-2012
- National Science Foundation, "Development of a quantitative model for measuring regional economic resilience to hurricanes", PI with Brad Ewing, $278,726, 2010-2014
- Florida State University, "Characterization and testing of CAPS rim-drive wind turbine", PI, $37,685, 2010-2011
- National Science Foundation, "HI2: a new measure of hurricane impact for innovation in enterprise risk management", PI with Brad Ewing, $350,398, 2011-2016
- National Science Foundation, "Characterization, modeling and uncertainty analysis of tornado wind and its effects on buildings", PI with Xinzhong Chen, $250,000, 2014-2017
- American Institute of Steel Construction, "Storm Shelters", PI with 20% credit, total award: $48,681, 9/1/2015-8/31/2016
- Department of Energy, "Great Plains Wind Power Test Facility", Co-PI with Andy Swift (PI) and others, $3,279,200, 2008-2011
- Texas Dept. of Transportation, "Novel Materials Systems for the Next Generation Flexible Pavement Structures", co-PI with Sanjaya Senadheera (PI) and others, $596,436, 2015-2016
- Scott, Pataya; Liang, Daan (2015) Evaluation of shelter performance following the 2013 Moore tornado, Wind and Structures, Volume 21, Number 4, October 2015, Pages 369-381.
- Cui, Yuepeng; Liang, Daan; & Ewing, Bradley. (2015). Empirical Analysis of Building Permits in Response to Hurricane Landfalls. Natural Hazards Review, 10.1061/(ASCE) Last revised: January 20, 2015
- Luo, Jianjun s; Liang, Daan; & Weiss, Chris. (2015). Reconstruction of a near-surface tornado wind field from observed building damage. Wind and Structures, 20(3), 389-404.
- Luo, Jianjun; Cong, Zhen; & Liang, Daan. (2014) Number of Warning Information Sources and Decision- Making during Tornadoes. American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Cui, Yuepeng; Liang, Daan; & Song, Lingguang. (2014). Simplified Method for Evaluating the Impact of a Transportation Network on Post Hurricane Access to Healthcare Facilities. ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities.