Texas Tech University

Events FAQ

Event Scheduling

Reserving academic space is a privilege afforded only to those directly affiliated with the university. This includes academic departments, student and support organizations, and individual faculty and staff members.

Event applications should be submitted a minimum of one week before your event. Please allow 1-2 business days for processing, as event requests are processed in the order they are received. After your request has been approved, you will receive a confirmation containing the details of your event and any special instructions you may need. If additional information is required, an email will be sent to the requestor's provided email.

Please do not advertise for your event until approval is granted and you have received confirmation from our office.

Room Capacity - COVID-19 and TTU social distancing guidelines is at 6 feet per person, the current capacity listed for Classrooms (110) is at COVID-19 guidelines for TTU. Please remember to practice 6 feet or sitting with an empty seat between each person and everyone needs to be wearing a mask.

For more information regarding TTU COVID-19 guidelines please visit TTU Event Guidelines.

For information regarding Student Organization Event Guidelines please visit TTU Student Organization Event Guidelines.

Request An Event

Events - Ad Astra Calendar

  • April 1, 2021 – Event requesting opens for Fall 2021 (202227) for departments.
  • TBA – Event requesting opens for Summer 2021 (202277) for student organizations.
  • August 7, 2021 – Event requesting opens for Fall 2021 (202227) for student organizations.
  • November 4, 2021 – Event requesting opens for both Spring and Summer 2022 (202257; 202277) for departments.
  • December 9, 2021 – Event requesting opens for Spring 2022 (202257) for student organizations.


Ad Astra Frequently Asked Questions


Usage of Academic Space

The space and facilities of the university are intended primarily to support the on-going instructional program of the institution. Secondary priority is given to programs sponsored and conducted by university academic and administrative departments, by organizations affiliated with such departments, or by registered student organizations. Other use of campus space and facilities may be permitted for activities intended to serve or benefit the university community.

View Classrooms - View classroom features, pictures, and room schedules via Ad Astra. Access to the site requires a valid eRaider account.

View TTU Conference Rooms and Contact Information - Conference rooms on the TTU Campus are under direction of a specific department and reservations are made at their discretion.

View TTU Computer Labs and Contact Information.

To request a room please refer to the Requesting a Room FAQ below:


Requesting a Room

  • Reservations for class related activities, department events, or other special events can be made by completing the appropriate form via Ad Astra Schedule:
  • Academic Activities always have priority over the use of academic space. 
  • Reserving academic space is a privilege afforded only to those directly affiliated with the university. This includes academic departments, student and support organizations, and individual faculty and staff members. An individual who is not a student, faculty, or staff member may attend functions held on university property, but the function must be sponsored by and affiliated with a university department or registered student organization.
  • There is no rental fee for the use of academic space, but custodial or security charges may be necessary depending on the circumstances.
  • Please allow up to two business days for a confirmation of reservation.
  • Room Capacity - COVID-19 and TTU social distancing guidelines is at 6 feet per person, the current capacity listed for Classrooms (110) is at COVID-19 guidelines for TTU. Please remember to practice 6 feet or sitting with an empty seat between each person and everyone needs to be wearing a mask.

Student Organizations

In order to reserve academic space, a student organization must register with the Center for Campus Life before each academic year. For more information on registration, please visit the Center for Campus Life website or call 742-5433.
  • Any use of academic space by student organizations must be approved by Operations Division Planning and Administration. Registered student organizations wanting to reserve classrooms must complete an event request through Ad Astra Schedule.
  • Academic buildings are not available for use by student groups on weekends.
  • Students must be able to present a student picture identification when requested by any University official.
  • Reservations are made on a first-come, first served basis. Recurring reservations must be re-submitted each semester.
  • Students meeting in academic space without permission will be subject to loss of use privileges for a period of time specified by the management of Operations Division Planning and Administration and/or other disciplinary action.
  • Student groups are expected to leave classrooms as they find them (return furniture to original position, dispose of trash, etc.) Any group leaving a room in poor condition will be subject to disciplinary action.
  • Because academic classes may be meeting nearby, student groups using classrooms are expected to conduct their activities quietly. Complaints may result in the cancellation of a reservation. Disruptive behavior may result in a group being escorted from the building. Sound amplification that extends beyond the reserved area is not permitted.
  • Academic programs have priority at Texas Tech. Student groups occasionally will be assigned a substitute room for one evening when academic instructors need a particular room for an examination, seminar, etc.
  • Students are to vacate academic buildings by 10:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Exceptions must be approved in advance by Operations Division Planning and Administration in writing.
  • Students using academic space are expected to report any unusual occurrences to the University Police (742-3931).
  • The person making room reservations on behalf of a student organization is responsible for conveying the above information to the other members of their organization.
  • Failure to abide by these rules will result in cancellation of the student organizations reservations and/or disciplinary action for the organization.

Showing Movies on Campus

Class Viewing

If all of the following are true, then the movie does not have to be in the public domain and/or viewing rights do not have to be purchased:

  • The movie is shown during class (or at another time scheduled by the professor which is listed on
    the syllabus);
  • The viewing is restricted to only registered students in that class;
  • The movie serves educational purposes;
  • There is no charge for admission; and
  • The viewing is not advertised in any venue, such as the TechAnnounce.

United States Copyright Office

The following is an excerpt from the United States Copyright Office website:

Can a school show a movie without obtaining permission from the copyright owner?
If the movie is for entertainment purposes, you need to get a clearance or license for its performance.

It is not necessary to obtain permission if you show the movie in the course of “face-to-face teaching activities” in a nonprofit educational institution, in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction, if the copy of the movie being performed is a lawful copy. 17 U.S.C. § 110(1). This exemption encompasses instructional activities relating to a wide variety of subjects, but it does not include performances for recreation or entertainment purposes, even if there is cultural value or intellectual appeal.

Questions regarding this provision of the copyright law should be made to the legal counsel of the school or school system.

Additional information regarding copyrights

What is a “copyright”?

Copyright law secures for the creator of a creative effort the exclusive right to control who can make copies, or make works derived from the original work.

What cannot be copyrighted?

  • Works put out by the US Government – Including things like Hubble photos, films, reports, judicial and congressional works
  • Works in the “Public Domain” – Which includes ALL works created before 1925 (many, but not all, works created prior to 1965 are also in the “public domain”).

Common Misconceptions

  • “If I don't charge admission, it's not a copyright violation.” - FALSE
  • “If it's posted on the Internet it's in the public domain.” - FALSE
  • Copyrighted files, music, movies, books, and other works do not lose their copyright just because someone has placed them on the internet. Even if the artist places the work on the internet, the copyright is still in force.
  • "Schools always fall under the 'Fair Use Exemption.'" - FALSE
  • The "fair use" exemption to (U.S.) copyright law was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author.
    •  "Fair use" only insures that copyright law does not block a teacher's freedom to comment and express his/her own arguments and ideas – not the right to publicly display other people's works.
    •  "Fair use" is usually a short excerpt and almost always attributed.
    • It should not harm the commercial value of the work, in a sense of people no longer needing to buy the CD or rent the movie.
  •  "Copyright infringement isn't a crime." - FALSE
    • While copyright law is mostly civil law pursued by the private owners, there are now felony criminal statutes which apply when pirated works are worth over $2,500.
    •  Under Congress's new law, a commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and valued over $2,500 is a federal offense felony.
    • This applies to songs downloaded from P2P networks like Napster and Kaazaa, as well as movies and other works downloaded or copied.
    •  The Justice Department, the FBI and the Customs Departments are "fully committed to this law!"
  •  "I own the movie, CD, DVD, program, etc., so I can use it." - FALSE
    • To own a copy of a work (even when you paid for the copy) is not to own the work itself!
    • Even though you may have bought a DVD or CD, you cannot play it at public events.
    • This also applies to movies which you rent online or other rental outlets.
    • A copy does not equal a license.

Viewings Not Related To A Class
  •  Movies that are shown outside of a class must be in the "public domain" for viewing.
    • In order to show these movies they must be restricted to only a certain group and not open to the public.
    • The movie must also serve an educational purpose.
  •  If the film is open campus wide there has to be some sort of viewing rights purchased if you are showing a movie that is not in the public domain.
  • If you want to be able to show these movies to all of campus try to reserve a room in the Student Union Building as they have purchased the rights to several movies and that is how they are able to show them.

Viewings Not Related To A Class

  • The Three Stooges have at least four shorts in the Public Domain: Disorder in the Court, Malice in the Palace, The Brideless Groom, and Sing a Song of Six Pants.
  • Some Laurel & Hardy, Popeye, Bugs Bunny, Our Gang, The Bowery Boys / East Side Kids, and many Buster Keaton shorts too.
  • ALL works (movies, songs, books, plays, etc.) created before 1925 are in the Public Domain. Many, but not all, works created prior to 1965 are also in the Public Domain.
  • For options of movies in the Public Domain: www.publicdomainflix.com


Events: 806-742-5262


Physical Plant Building
3122 Main Street
Lubbock, TX 79409

  • Mail Stop: 5091
  • Box: 45091
  • Phone: (806) 742-2102
  • Fax: (806) 742-4279

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday 
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Staff Information

Operations Division: Planning and Administration

  • Address

    Mail Stop: 5091, Box: 45091, Physical Plant Building, 3122 Main Street, Lubbock, TX 79409