Hyunsoo Kim, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-6859
M.S. Physics, Pusan National University, South Korea (2005)
B.S. Physics, Pusan National University, South Korea (1999)
Dr. Hyunsoo Kim's research activities focus on quantum materials research and low-temperature experiment with various techniques. His expertise includes the 0.001ppm precision measurement utilizing rf-techniques with the frequency ranging from MHz to GHz at the mK temperature range and high magnetic fields. He is interested in understanding fundamental physics and in the discovery of novel quasiparticles and their interactions in solid-state systems. He is also interested in the application of exotic matters such as topological phases to the new information technology that includes quantum devices and quantum computation.
Dr. Kim holds his B.S. and M.S. degrees in physics from Pusan National University in South Korea. Dr. Kim earned his Ph.D. in experimental condensed matter physics at Iowa State University in 2013. He then worked as a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Maryland-College Park. He later worked at Maryland Quantum Materials Center as a staff scientist before joining the faculty of Texas Tech University as a Research Assistant Professor in the fall of 2020.
- H. Kim, M. A. Tanatar, H. Hodovanets, K. Wang, J. Paglione, R. Prozorov, Campbell penetration depth in low carrier density superconductor YPtBi, Phys. Rev. B 104, 014510 (2021).
- S. Bae, H. Kim, S. Ran, Y. S. Eo, I-L. Liu, W. Fuhrman, J. Paglione, N. P. Butch, S. Anlage, Anomalous normal fluid response in a chiral superconductor, Nature Communications 12, 2644 (2021).
- H. Hodovanets, C. J. Eckberg, Y. Eo, D. J. Campbell, P. Y. Zavalij, P. Piccoli, T. Metz, H. Kim, J. S. Higgins, J. Paglione, Anomalous symmetry breaking in Weyl semimetal CeAlGe, preprint arXiv:2101.10411 (2021).
- Y. S. Eo, S. R. Saha, H. Kim, S. Ran, J. A. Horn, H. Hodovanets, J. Collini, W. T. Fuhrman, A. H. Nevidomskyy, N. P. Butch, M. S. Fuhrer, J. Paglione, Anomalous c-axis Transport Response of UTe2, preprint arXiv:2101.03102 (2021).
- H. Kim, J. Lee, H. Hodovanets, K. Wang, J. D. Sau, J. Paglione, Quantum Oscillations in a Spin-3/2 Topological Semimetal, preprint arXiv:2010.12085 (2020).
- W.-C. Lin, D. J. Campbell, S. Ran, I-L. Liu, H. Kim, A. H. Nevidomskyy, D. Graf, N. P. Butch, J. Paglione, Tuning magnetic confinement of spin-triplet superconductivity, npj Quantum Materials 5, 68 (2020).
- I-L. Liu, C. Heikes, T. Yildirim, C. Eckberg, T. Metz, H. Kim, S. Ran, W. D. Ratcliff, J. Paglione, N. P. Butch, Quantum oscillations from networked topological interfaces in a Weyl semimetal, npj Quantum Materials 5, 62 (2020).
- S. Ran, H. Kim, I-L. Liu, S. Saha, I. Hayes, T. Metz, Y. S. Eo, J. Paglione, N. P. Butch, Enhanced spin triplet superconductivity due to Kondo destabilization, Phys. Rev. B 101, 140503 (2020).
- S. Ran, I-L. Liu, Y. S. Eo, D. J. Campbell, P. Neves, W. T. Fuhrman, S. R. Saha, C. Eckberg, H. Kim, J. Paglione, D. Graf, J. Singleton, N. P. Butch, Extreme magnetic field-boosted superconductivity, Nature Physics 15, 1250 (2019).
- S. Ran, C. Eckberg, Q.-P. Ding, Y. Furukawa, T. Metz, S. R. Saha, I-L. Liu, M. Zic, H. Kim, J. Paglione, N. P. Butch, Nearly ferromagnetic spin-triplet superconductivity, Science 365, 684 (2019).
- S. M. Na, P, K. Lambert, H. Kim, J. Paglione, N. J. Jones, Thermomagnetic properties and magnetocaloric effect of FeCoNiCrAl-type high-entropy alloys, AIP Advances 9, 035010 (2019).
- H. Kim, K. Cho, M. A. Tanatar, V. Taufour, S. K. Kim, S. L. Bud'ko, P. C. Canfield, V. G. Kogan and R. Prozorov, Self-Consistent Two-Gap Description of MgB2 Superconductor, Symmetry 11, 1012 (2019).
- H. Kim, K. Wang, Y. Nakajima, R. Hu, S. Ziemak, P. Syers, L. Wang, H. Hodovanets, J. D. Denlinger, P. M. R. Brydon, D. F. Agterberg, M. A. Tanatar, R. Prozorov, J. Paglione, Beyond Triplet: Unconventional Superconductivity in a Spin-3/2 Topological Semimetal, Sci. Adv. 4, eaao4513 (2018).
- H. Kim, M. A. Tanatar, Ruslan Prozorov, Tunnel diode resonator for precision magnetic susceptibility measurements in a mK range and large DC magnetic fields, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 89, 094704 (2018).
- H. Kim, M. A. Tanatar, C. Martin, E. C. Blomberg, N. Ni, S. L. Bud'ko, P. C. Canfield, R. Prozorov, Universal doping evolution of the superconducting gap anisotropy in single crystals of electron-doped Ba(Fe1−xRhx)2As2 from London penetration depth measurements, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 30, 225602 (2018).
- C. Eckberg, L. Wang, H. Hodovanets, H. Kim, D. Campbell, P. Zavalij, P.M. Piccoli, J. Paglione, Evolution of Structure and Superconductivity in Ba(Ni1−xCox)2As2, Phys. Rev. B 97, 224505 (2018).
- H. Hodovanets, C. J. Eckberg, P. Y. Zavalij, H. Kim, W.-C. Lin, M. Zic, D. J. Campbell, J. S. Higgins, J. Paglione, Single crystal investigation of proposed type-II Weyl semimetal CeAlGe, Phys. Rev. B 98, 245132 (2018).
- A. Orr, J. Downing, H. Kim, J. Paglione, J. Cozzo, S. M. Na, A. Flatau, Influence of Shape Anisotropy and Temperature on Magnetostrictive Behavior in Single-Crystal Galfenol Alloys, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 53, 2503804 (2017).
- V. Taufour, U. S. Kaluarachchi, R. Khasanov, M. C. Nguyen, Z. Guguchia, P. K. Biswas, P. Bonfa, R. D. Renzi, X. Lin, S. K. Kim, E. D. Mun, H. Kim, Y. Furukawa, C. Wang, K.-M. Ho, S. L. Bud'ko, and P. C. Canfield, Ferromagnetic Quantum Critical Point Avoided by the Appearance of Another Magnetic Phase in LaCrGe3 under Pressure, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 037207 (2016).
Department of Physics and Astronomy
AddressTexas Tech University, Physics & Astronomy Department, Box 41051, Lubbock, TX 79409-1051
Phone806.742.3767 | Fax: 806.742.1182