PPHC is excited to team up with our Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) colleagues to offer the Health Professions Mentor Program every Spring semester. This unique experience is available to any Texas Tech University student pursuing a career in the health professions.
Selected mentees are paired with a TTUHSC student for the months of February, March, and April. Mentees will receive privileged access to see what it is like to be a student in a health professions program, including attending courses, seminars, lectures, programs, and educational experiences usually only available to TTUHSC students.
The Health Professions Mentor Program has twice been featured in the Daily Toreador:
- Daily Toreador January 28th, 2014 for the Spring 2014 program.
- Daily Toreador October 1st, 2013 for Fall 2013 program.
Feedback from those who have participated in the program in the past has been very positive. Here's what some mentees have said:
- I got to sit in on a hands lecture which was really interesting! Then I sat in on the associated lab with the class and got to see how OT students learn to perform the skills discussed in class.
- My experience in the program was great! My mentor gave me incredible advice on everything, from the interview to great electives that helped her.
- I sat in on Wound Care lab and was able to actually participate
- My mentor took me on a tour of the SimLife Center. It was such an awesome experience. She showed me all of the different "patients" that I will eventually be working with and how they operated.
- I have received numerous invitations to attend such activities such as the Dean Speeches, and additional classroom experiences to meet instructors.
The application for the spring 2021 Health Professions Mentor Program is now closed.
For more information about the Mentor Program, please contact Rachel Poole (firstname.lastname@example.org).