Student Success Collaborative
The interpersonal skills of the Academic Advisor, Academic Tutor, and Academic Counselor are essential in accomplishing the desired learning outcomes of their respective programs and processes. Similarly, excellent administrator decisions are often a blend of art and science. In both cases, these personnel are more likely to be effective when well informed by a thorough understanding of the valid and reliable data on student performance.
There are many technology resources available that provide our institution's human resources with 1) summative reports and 2) access to information on the individual student's history, including internal and transfer transcripts, admissions applications, payment histories, academic holds, historical test scores, demographic data, and completion of particular institutional processes.
- Individual students' information has been historically available to authorized TTU users through Raiderlink, Xtender, and other legacy systems.
- Information on college-specific progress, academic decisions, and degree auditing has historically been maintained in a variety of systems across the campus, with little automatic sharing, upward analysis and reporting, coordination of support, or proactive alert and intervention.
- The recent Degree Works implementation has made great strides forward in utilizing a centralized system to uniformly assess and report on students' progress toward degrees.
- TechReports and Institutional Research have done much to leverage the COGNOS system to provide overview-level summaries and detail reports as required by the institution's oversight and accrediting bodies, or as requested on an ad hoc basis by university personnel.
Still, many uncoordinated, disconnected, and often paper-based systems remain in widespread use.
Initial Actionable Goals
- Join EAB's Student Success Collaborative (EAB-SSC) and immediately begin implementation of a predictive graduation analysis with corresponding dashboard and documentation solution serving, at a minimum, academic support personnel and administrators.
- Identify students who are at-risk of not graduating in their chosen major.
- Clearly prioritize interventions by student need. Conduct gap analysis to determine overlooked opportunities.
- In all one-to-one interactions offer, as appropriate, interventions for using support resources, confirming and exploring major choices, etc.
EAB-SSC's Contribution to the TTU Solution
Recognizing the need for more valuable and user-friendly tools, Texas Tech University extended its relationship with the Education Advisory Board in the summer of 2014 by joining the Student Success Collaborative (SSC). Our participation makes available the data analysis and advising platform provided to all members of the SSC. As of September 2014, the Collaborative included 120+ member schools.
Purpose and Methodology
The SSC data platform predicts individual students' likelihood to graduate in a wide range of majors on each campus. Predictions are generated by comparing key academic factors for each student against historical patterns of success and failure. To develop these algorithms, data on historical student cohorts is collected from member information systems and used to generate an initial series of candidate academic metrics. Advanced multivariate statistical and machine learning techniques perform variable selection and conduct hypothesis testing. Results are cross-validated for accuracy and compared with known research on student success outcomes.
Additional information, case studies, and related research is available to administrators, faculty members, and support staff on request.
The image below depicts the larger implementation timeline as it will involve stakeholders in the TTU community.
Please see the chart below for a current report of implmentation elements by academic College and Department.
Data is Live
- Pilots Implemented - January/February 2015
- System Released to Campus - August 2015
- Automatic Data Update Initiated - May 2015
- Manual Data Update Initiated - August 2015
- System Released to Campus - September 2015
- Automatic Data Update Completed - December 2015
- Intro to SSC Campus
- Data Migration Initiated - December 2015
- Data Migration Completed - Currently in progress (TTUS Information Systems)
- Campus Site Built - Waiting on Data Migration
- Campus Training Schedule Created - Waiting on Site Build Completion
- SSC Campus Training Complete - Waiting on Site Go-Live
TTU Current Implementation Scorecard
|Unit||SSC Foundations Undergraduate Only||SSC GradesFirst||Implementation Status||SSC Campus|
|Administrator Introductions||Success Marker Creation||Training Complete||Administrator Introductions||Faculty Training Complete||Advisor Training Complete||Training Complete|
|College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources||✔||UG||◐||◐|
|Agricultural & Applied Economics||✔||◐||✔||◐||◐|
|Agricultural Education & Communications||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||◐|
|Animal & Food Sciences||✔||◐||✔||◐||◐|
|Natural Resources Management||✔||◐||✔||◐||◐|
|Plant & Soil Science||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|College of Architecture||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|College of Arts & Sciences||✔||✔|
|A&S Student Success Center||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Chemistry & Biochemistry||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Classical & Modern Languages & Literatures||✔||UG||UG|
|English & Philosophy||✔||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|Kinesiology & Sport Management||✔||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|Mathematics & Statistics||✔||UG, GR|
|Sociology, Anthropology & Social Work||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Rawls College of Business Administration||✔||✔||✔||UG, GR||UG, GR|
|Rawls Center for Global Engagement||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|College of Education||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|Whitacre College of Engineering|
|Engineering Opportunity Center||✔|
|Civil, Environmental, & Construction Engineering||UG|
|Electrical & Computer Engineering||UG|
|College of Human Sciences||✔||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|College of Media & Communications||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|College of Visual & Performing Arts||✔||✔|
|School of Art||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|School of Music||✔||✔||✔|
|School of Theatre & Dance||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Academic Testing Services|
|Center for Active Learning & Undergraduate Engagement||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Community College & Transfer Relations||✔||✔||✔|
|Raider Ready: IS1100||✔||UG|
|Support Operations for Academic Retention||✔||✔||UG||UG||UG|
|Programs for Academic Retention||✔||✔||UG||UG||UG|
|Texas Success Initiative Advising||✔||✔||UG||UG||UG|
|Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development Center|
|Texas Tech University Advising||✔||✔||UG||UG|
|Tech Transfer Acceleration Program||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Parent & Family Relations||✔||✔|
|Red to Black||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Student Counseling Center|
|Student Disability Services||◐||◐||◐|
|Student Government Association|
|Student Legal Services|
|Transition & Engagement /
Red Raider Orientation
|University Career Services|
|Dean of Students|
|Center for Campus Life||✔||✔||✔|
|Fraternity & Sorority Life||✔||◐||✔|
|Risk Intervention & Safety Education|
|Student Resolution Center|
|Diversity, Equity, & Community Engagement|
|Cross-Cultural Advancement Center|
|Texas Tech Chess Program|
|Office of Community Engagement|
|University Interscholastic League|
|TRiO Student Support Services||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Military & Veterans Program||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Office of International Affairs||✔||✔||✔||✔|