Michael J. Serra, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-5134
I plan to recruit a new graduate student for Fall 2020. Please email me directly if
you are interested in applying.
My research focuses on the basic cognitive functions that underlie our more advanced and unique mental abilities. In particular, most of my research involves memory (e.g., short-term and long-term semantic memory) or metacognition (i.e., thinking about, evaluating, and controlling one's cognitive processes such as memory or reading comprehension). I conduct both basic and applied research in these domains (i.e., How do people learn? How do they judge their learning? How can we make learning processes and study behaviors more effective?). As such, this body of work has the potential to not only help us to understand basic cognitive functioning, but also can allow us to better design instructional learning materials and identify ways to improve students' learning and the efficacy of their study behaviors. My expertise in human learning and study behaviors heavily informs my teaching and pedagogical work and supervision related to others' teaching.
If you are interested in working in my lab as either a graduate or undergraduate research assistant, please email me for more information. You can read more about my research on my lab website.
Click here to view my publications archive.
Click here to view my CV.
Click here to view my Google Scholar profile.
Click here to view my Twitter feed (@MJSerraPhD)
Click here to view my LinkedIn profile.
Awards & Recognition:
- President's Excellence in Teaching Award, Texas Tech University (2017)
- Assessment Spotlight Champion, Office of Planning and Assessment, Texas Tech University (2014)
- Member, Texas Tech University Teaching Academy (since 2012)
Graduate Courses Taught:
- Seminar in Metacognition (PSY 5358)
- Seminar in Memory (PSY 5001)
- Teaching of Psychology (PSY 5101)
Undergraduate Courses Taught:
- Cognitive Psychology (PSY 4324)
- Honors Cognitive Psychology (PSY 4324)
- Honors General Psychology (PSY 1300)
- Research Methods (PSY 3401)
- President's Leadership Institute, Texas Tech University (2016-2017)
- Leadership Series, Human Resources, Texas Tech University (Fall 2016)
Service to the Field:
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition; Journal of Experimental Psychology: General; Psychonomic Bulletin & Review; Cognition; Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied; Memory; Journal of Educational Psychology; Memory & Cognition; Journal of Memory and Language; Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology; Discourse Processes; Metacognition & Learning; Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition; Experimental Aging Research; European Journal of Cognitive Psychology; Human Factors; Journal of Experimental Child Psychology; New Ideas in Psychology; National Science Foundation (NSF) grants; Israel Science Foundation (ISF) grants; SWPA Conference Abstracts; McGraw-Hill Textbooks; Norton Textbooks; Sage Textbooks; Sinauer Textbooks; Worth Textbooks; others
- Editorial Board, Metacognition & Learning (since 2020)
- Principal Reviewer, Journal of Educational Psychology (since 2014)
- MPA Local Representative for Texas Tech, Midwestern Psychological Association (since 2008)
- Website Manager, International Association for Metacognition (2004-2011)
Service to the University:
- Member, Social Sciences Subcommittee, College of Arts & Sciences Institutional Effectiveness
- Co-Chair, Academic Enhancement & Interventions Working Group and Full-time Faculty Representative, Provost's Task Force on Student Success and Retention (2014-2015)
Service to the Department:
- Director, Experimental Psychology Graduate Programs (Jan 2016 - Dec 2019)
- Director, Undergraduate Studies and Chair, Undergraduate Program Committee (Aug 2014 - Dec 2015)
- Supervisor, General Psychology - PSY 1300 (Aug 2009 - Dec 2015)
- Chair, Undergraduate Program Committee (Aug 2009 - May 2011)
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- International Association for Metacognition (IAM)
- Midwestern Psychological Association (MPA) – Fellow & Local Representative
- Psi Chi National Honor Society
- Psychonomic Society – Fellow
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP) - aka APA Div. 2
AddressTexas Tech University, Department of Psychological Sciences, Box 42051 Lubbock, TX 79409-2051