Sexual Assault Awareness Month
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). RISE and other campus departments, student leaders, faculty, and staff have been meeting routinely the past few months to create a month of awareness, education, and understanding of everything surrounding sexual assault, unhealthy relationships, and how to support survivors. Below you will find an outline of the virtual ways you can get involved this April.
Denim Day – Wednesday 4/29
Texas Tech University is hosting their 5th annual Denim Day Wednesday April 29th, 2020. The Denim Day campaign began over 20 years ago and remains a worldwide effort to raise awareness that consent is never implied and there is never an excuse or invitation to rape. Even though we are not physically on campus, please wear denim on April 29th and get involved in our online efforts to raise awareness campus wide. To get involved:
• Email RISE@ttu.edu with your department/student organization/office name and social media handles. RISE will then reply to you with a graphic that you can post on your department or organization's social media, website, and other networks to show your support. Don't forget to tag @TTURISE.
• RISE will also be doing a custom GIF with your student org/department/name that will be available as a 'patch' we will put on our denim jacket via Instagram story. Don't forget to tag us @TTURISE.
• Take a photo of yourself/family members/pets in your denim and tag RISE for a repost!
• You could also host a contest with your student organization, staff or faculty members, etc to earn a 'casual' day to cash in later!
Take Back the Night – Week of April 27 – May 1st
Take Back the Night is traditionally a gathering of students, staff, faculty, and community members who believe that sexual assault is NOT OKAY. Since we are not able to meet in person this year face to face, we will be joining the National Take Back the Night Online.
• TTU students, faculty, and staff are invited to send RISE (RISE@ttu.edu) a short video or message about the importance of using your voice, reporting, supporting survivors, educating our community, and other words of encouragement and support. We will share these messages throughout the week on our social media accounts.
• Throughout the week of April 27 - May 1, update your Skype For Business "what's happening today" to "I take back the night" or "I stand with survivors" to show solidarity and unity virtually.
Love Letters to Survivors – Throughout the Month
1 in 3 women and 1 in 16 men are Sexually Assaulted in their lifetime, many of those survivors are our friends, family members, colleagues, and people who we love and care about. We are asking our Red Raiders to write letters and record themselves sharing their compassion, understanding, and message to survivors. To participate:
• Write a letter of support and and take a picture of your letter, record a video, or do a voice recording and send to RISE (RISE@ttu.edu) to post. We can post as anonymous or with your name/social media tag. Just let us know what you prefer.
• Please do not include names or identifiers in your letters. Do not share a story that is not your own.
• Submissions open now until Friday April 24th by 5pm.
You can access the RISE Sexual Assault Prevention and Consent and Healthy Relationships workshops remotely via the TLPDC Mediasite. These presentations are about 30 minutes long and can be accessed by anyone with an eRaider login. This is a great opportunity to promote education and awareness for your classes and student organizations. You can request presentations online at rise.ttu.edu or by emailing email@example.com
Things to look out for this month
• RISE Peer Educator blogs and vlogs
• SAAM Facebook Profile Frame
• Updates on RISE social media about statistics, facts, resources, and other helpful information
Social Media and Contact Information
- Use the hashtags #TTUSAAM #denimday #TTURISE
- RISE can be found on Instagram and Twitter @tturise and on Facebook
- Email your videos, letter, and Denim Day photos to RISE@ttu.edu