Learn How To Save A Life From Suicide
Did you know....
- Every 11 minutes an American dies by suicide.
- Every day approximately 129 Americans take their own life and another 1500 attempt suicide.
- The number of weekly deaths due to suicide is roughly equivalent to a Boeing 747 crashing with no survivors every 5 days.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college students.
- In one survey of multiple universities 8% of undergraduate and 5% of graduate students reported having attempted suicide at least one times in their lives.
Become a QPR Gatekeeper
Suicide can be seen as a journey of increasing hopelessness that starts with an idea and ends with an act. Anybody with the right skills can disrupt this journey. QPR Gatekeeper training will teach you how to recognize warning signs for suicide, how to approach someone who feels suicidal, and how (and where) to refer that person for help.
How to Become a Certified Gatekeeper
Suicide Gatekeeper training is open to all faculty, staff, and students at Texas Tech University. Training is held monthly at the TTU Student Wellness Center, Room 100. To register for the training email Dr. Amanda Wheeler.
QPR Gatekeeper Monthly Training Dates for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019:
Monday, September 10th at noon
Tuesday, October 2nd at 1:00
Wednesday, November 7th at 11:00
Monday, February 4th at 11:00
Tuesday, March 5th at noon
Wednesday, April 3rd at 1:00
Training is also available on request for university departments and offices. To arrange a training for your department contact Dr. Amanda Wheeler or at 806-742-3674.