First Year Council
First Year Council is an opportunity for students who are new to the university to
get involved in Student Government. Members are elected according to the residence
hall they live in. The number of Council Members for each residence hall is dependent
on the number of students each hall can hold. Below are the number of Council Members
each hall can have.
• Chitwood (3)
• Weymouth (3)
• Stangel (2)
• Murdough (2)
• Wall/Gates (2)
• Hulen/Clement (2)
• Talkington (2)
• Coleman (2)
• Bledsoe/Gordon (2)
• Horn/Knapp (2)
• Murray/Carpenter/Wells (2)
• Sneed (2)
• Honors (2)
Another 4 Council Members will be elected who live off-campus to represent first year students who do not live on campus. These members may not be elected from one of the above complexes.
All candidates must fill out an intent to run form and attend an election workshop to be eligible for election. Please see timeline below for information regarding deadlines
• Intent to Run form and $5 filing fee due by 5:00pm: September 4
• Election Workshop: Septemeber 4
• Elections: September 18 & 19
• Results Announced: September 20
Requirements for candidacy are listed below.
• The candidate must be running in the same year they graduated high school.
• The candidate must be enrolled in 12 hours and have no more than 30 credit hours.
• The candidate must maintain a 2.5 GPA during their term if elected and they must have had a 2.5 or above GPA in high school at the time of filing.
If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Emily Garcia at Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members: Elected beginning in the Fall Semester
First Year Leadership Association
Application Link: https://ttu.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/294082
• Two (2) Advisors
• Fourteen (14) Members
• Each member will be assigned to a mentor who works in the office as the following:
o Student Body President (3)
o Internal Vice President (2)
o External Vice President (2)
o Graduate Vice President (2)
o Journal Clerk (2)
o Chief of Staff (1)
o Director of Political Affairs (1)
o Director of Communications (1)
• Each member will be required to do two (2) office hours a week that must be completed during normal office hours (8am-5pm)
• Each member will be required to attend Senate meetings and meetings set by the advisors.
• Each member will be required to participate in a mandatory service project.
• Each member will be required to participate in one (1) tabling event per semester.
• Application deadline: September 22 by 5:00pm
• Interviews: September 26 & 27
• Final interview: September 29
First Year Leadership Association Application - Deadline to submit application is September 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.First Year Leadership Association
- Advisors: TBD
- Members: Elected beginning in the Fall Semester
- If you have any questions please contact the SGA Internal VP at 806-742-3631