Join the Crew
Are you looking for an exciting summer job? Then join the RRO Crew!
Being on the Crew is a unique experience; you will interact with and guide new students through RRO, develop relationships with fellow Crew members and Tech faculty/staff, and have a lot of fun while representing Texas Tech and showing your Red Raider pride!
About the Position
- Be a positive representative of Texas Tech University
- Welcome new students, their parents, and family members to Texas Tech
- Lead small group discussions
- Assist students with class scheduling and the registration process
- Teach students the History and Traditions of Texas Tech
- Serve as a peer mentor to new students
- Develop professional and leadership skills
- Gain in-depth knowledge about campus resources
- Establish connections within the Texas Tech community
- Form lasting relationships with other amazing Crew members
- Summer housing in Hulen/Clement during the summer term you are hired to work (required)
- Meals during retreat, training, and RRO
- RRO and Texas Tech apparel
- You must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA during employment.
- You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas Tech University.
- You must be a full-time student in Spring and Fall 2021.
- You must be an undergraduate student.
- You must attend all trainings, meetings, retreats, and RRO sessions.
- You cannot have any other employment or enroll in classes during the half of the summer you are working.
- You must pass a criminal background check and drug test.
How to Apply
- Attend an information session.
Attending an Information Session* is required to receive an application and be considered for the position. You only need to attend one. See dates below. All times and locations** for our 30-minute information sessions are listed below.
- Complete the online application.
After attending an information session, you will have received information on what is required for a completed application. Be sure you submit the application online by the deadline. Date is listed below.
- Attend the Group Interview!
All candidates that have both the application and reference form submitted on time and meet basic requirements will be asked to come to the Group Interview. Date is listed below.
- Sign up for an individual interview.
ABased on the Group Process interviews, selected candidates will be invited to an Individual Interview. Dates are listed below.
Fall Information Sessions
|November 9||10:30 am||SUB Playa Room|
|November 10||12 pm||SUB Brazos Room|
|November 12||10 am||SUB Playa Room|
|November 15||2:30 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|November 16||4 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|December 14||3:30 pm||Join via Zoom|
Spring Information Sessions
|January 11||12:30 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|January 25||5 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|January 26||4:30 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|January 27||5:30 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|January 28||10:30 am||SUB Playa Room|
|January 31||2 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|February 1||5 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|February 2||1:30 pm||SUB Playa Room|
|February 3||10 am||SUB Playa Room|
|February 4||11 am||SUB Brazos Room|
|Applications Due||January TBD|
|Group Interviews||February TBD|
|Individual Interviews||February TBD|
Mandatory Spring Dates
|February (TBD)||Group and Individual* Interviews
*Individual interviews are for those selected.
|March (TBD)||RRO Retreat
All Captains and Crew Members
|Thursday's at 5 PM
Starting March (TBD)
All Captains and Crew Members
Mandatory Summer Dates
|Summer I Dates TBD||First Half of RRO
Summer I Staff Only
|Summer II Dates TBD||Second Half of RRO
Summer II Staff Only
What is the time commitment?
RRO Staff-including Captains are Crew-work the 2-Day RRO sessions. The Captains and Crew aredivided into two staffs, each working one half of the summer. In addition to working RRO during the summer, crew members must also commit to training sessions in the Spring semester.
Can I take summer courses and be on the Crew?
Due to the nature of the job, you may not take courses during the term you work for orientation. For example, a Crew member hired for the Summer I term would be able to take courses during Summer II.
Do all applicants get invited to the group interview?
As long as applicants meet the basic requirements, they will be invited to the group interview. Basic requirements include submitting a completed application, sending the recommendation form to a reference, being a full-time undergraduate student for Spring and Fall 2021, and meeting the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement.
I cannot come to the group interview, should I still apply?
This is evaluated on a case-by-case basis, you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire further about your situation.
Does everyone get an individual interview?
No. Individual interviews are granted based on basic requirements, applications, and the group interview.
Do I have to attend the Crew Retreat?
Yes. Every member of the Crew must attend the retreat. This is your opportunity to get to know the fellow Crew members you will be working with over the summer.
Do I have to live in the Hulen/Clement residence hall during RRO?
You have to stay in Hulen/Clement on the nights before RRO. During RRO, this means you must live/sleep/stay Saturday night - Thursday night. After you are released on Fridays from RRO, you will be able to stay at the location of your choice.
Email email@example.com or call 806-742-2993.