TSI Attendance Support
TSI Contract Statement
As stated in the TSI Student Contract:
-I understand that it is my responsibility to keep track of my absences and to be absent only when absolutely necessary. I will receive a courtesy e-mail to my TTU e-mail address when I am absent.
-I am allowed five (5) unexcused absences in my TSI class per semester. If I exceed my five (5) allotted absences I can be withdrawn from Texas Tech University.
-I understand that absences are given at the discretion of the TSI Office and that I will be marked absent for the following reasons regardless of whether I was present.
-If I elect to observe a religious holy day or miss class for illness or a family emergency, I must submit acceptable documentation to the TSI Office within five (5) business days of the absence.
-I understand that if I am unclear of what is considered acceptable documentation I must contact the TSI Office.
Any absence that is not due to a University sponsored event, medical, or family emergency, or other noted event, will be considered unexcused. This includes, but is not limited to: sleeping past your alarm, missing the bus, techinal difficulties, arriving late, etc. Your TSI instructor may count you absent at their discretion without immediately informing you.
If you are marked absent and you believe you should be able to have it excused, you will be encouraged to fill out the TSI Absence Form and email your instructor immediately for further instruction. Submitting an absence report does NOT guarantee your absence will be excused.
If you were marked absent and believe it was a mistake due to being present for the full class, you will be encouraged to contact your instructor immediately. Contacting your instructor does NOT guarantee your absence will be excused.
Absence Excusal Notes
If you are absent for any reason that provides you with an excusal note, it will be your responsibility to contact the TSI Office within five business days of the absence.
Once contacting the TSI office, you will be instructed to fill out the TSI Absence Form and submit your notes or documentation to TSI@ttu.edu. Please make sure your full name and R# are included with the documentation. Your information will be reviewed and a TSI advisor will contact you via email regarding your absence status.
Submitting an absence report and/or providing excusal documentation does NOT guarantee your absence will be excused.
If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please fill out the TSI Absence Form immediately. Additional information will be provided to you via email.
Additional resources are listed below:
- TTU COVID-19 Screening and Positive Test Reporting
- TTU COVID-19 Testing Sites in Lubbock
- TTU Dean of Students COVID-19 Support Form
Want to get an Unexcused Absence Removed?
Students can use the following opportunities to remove unexcused absences:
- Meet with your TSI advisor to complete the Attendance and Reflection Worksheet
- To schedule an appointment with your TSI advisor, please call the TSI Office at (806) 742-3242.
- Please download the Attendance and Reflection Worksheet for your appointment.
- Meet with your TSI Instructor to complete the Instructor Worksheet
- To schedule an appointment with your TSI instructor, please email them directly.
- Please download the Instructor Worksheet for your appointment.
- Meet with a SOAR Academic Coach to complete the Coaching Worksheet
- Visit the Learning Center for free student tutoring
- The tutoring schedule can be found on the Learning Center website.
- Attend additional webinars
- The TSI webinar list can be found on the TSI Blackboard Support webpage.
NOTE: Students may complete each opportunity ONCE per semester, unless otherwise noted.
- TSI Absence Form
- TTU Dean of Students COVID-19 positive reporting
- TTU Dean of Students COVID-19 absence reporting
- SOAR Academic Coaching Appointment
- Learning Center Tutoring Schedule
- TSI Webinars List
For questions and concerns regarding your TSI appeal of withdrawal or attendance, please email TSI@ttu.edu.
Please include your full name and R# in all emails to the TSI Office.