Awards and Accolades
- Individuals selected for an award must be present at the conferring of the award. If the recipient is not able to attend the program, the award will be deferred one year, pending availability to attend the program
- No member of the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents shall be eligible for an award while serving on the Board, nor may a current member of the faculty or staff of the program be selected to receive an award
- Recipients of awards may be nominated by current students and faculty of the program. Nominations are reviewed by a University Studies committee set forth for this purpose. Recommendations are made to the Vice Provost for University Programs and Student Success
- At all stages of the selection procedure, the discussion of possible recipients shall be deemed to be a confidential matter
- The award will be presented annually in conjunction with the Alumni Awards Program. University Studies will announce the name of the recipient after they have been contacted and have agreed to be present to receive the award
Distinguished Alumni Award
This award recognizes the achievements of alumni of University Studies who have demonstrated a record of distinguished service and extraordinary achievement in their chosen field. The awardee will have made a positive impact on the department of University Studies, serving as an inspiration to current students and alumni. It is the highest honor University Studies can bestow upon an alumnus.
To be considered for the award, a nominee should meet the following criteria:
- is a graduate of the University Studies degree program
- be a person of such integrity, stature, and demonstrated ability that the faculty, staff, students, and alumni will take pride in and be inspired by his or her recognition
- demonstrated service to the community, profession, and University Studies
- achieved success in his or her profession, life work, or other worthy endeavors
New Professional Award
This award recognizes recent graduates of University Studies whose contributions and accomplishments have made a significant impact on the University Studies program and in their chosen field. Throughout their careers, honorees have contributed significantly to their industry, communities, and the university while uploading the highest standards and values.
To be eligible for the New Professional Award, an individual must:
- have received a degree from University Studies at Texas Tech University within the past 15 years
- have attained a high level of professional accomplishment and possess high standards of integrity and character to positively reflect and enhance the prestige of the University Studies program
- be a person of such stature, and demonstrated ability that the faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the college will take pride in and be inspired by his or her recognition
- have demonstrated an interest in community service through volunteerism, civic involvement and shown leadership abilities in other areas
Outstanding Community or Public Service Award
This is the only award that recognizes alumni, and current students, staff, and faculty of University Studies, for their service efforts addressing critical societal issues; contributing engaged citizenry; strengthening democratic values and civic responsibility, and contributing to the public good. This work may be short- or long-term may be undertaken with single or multiple partners, and may be local, state, national, or global service work. Service work needs to be performed without compensation. It may be uncompensated consulting work within one's area of expertise or volunteer work in other areas. Nominations may be made by faculty, staff, students, or by a member of an organization that has benefited from the public service activity. Self-nominations are encouraged.