Texas Tech University

Cross-Listed Course FAQ's

Back to General FAQ's | List of Cross-Listed Courses | Scholarships

What does cross-listed mean?

  • A cross-listed course is a single course which is delivered by a home department which shares the enrollment with the Women's Studies program; it has two separate CRN numbers and two catalogue prefix identifiers while maintaining the same title to the course.
  • Usually there are 5-10 seats in this course, which fall under the Women's Studies CRN number and are created by the staff coordinator of Women's Studies.  Course fees from those seats go to Women's Studies; the remainder of the seats are under the home dept. CRN and those fees go to that home department.

How do WS cross-listed courses work?

  • The Women's Studies program is dependent on other departments (*) to deliver classes both academically and financially so that students can complete their course requirements for a minor in Women's Studies. 


Who can register for WS cross-listed courses?

  • During registration, our WS prefix courses have a "special approval" attached to the course requiring the student to contact the WS office to be advised.
  • WS prefix courses requiring a special approval are called "cross-listed" courses. This means that other departments already offer the same course, with the same instructor, on the same day and time with a different Course Number (CRN).
  • The WS prefix for these courses are for students interested in Minoring in Women's Studies.
  • Advising students of the special approval process helps confirm if the student is interested in being a minor in our program or if they are only registering for a WS prefix course because the cross-listed class is full.

How can I get into a class if it is full?

WS 2300

Note: " Intro to Women's Studies" fills quickly because it counts toward the CORE Curriculum

Online sections - Once the max enrollment is reached, overrides are not permitted unless you are Minoring in WS. To Minor in WS contact the Undergraduate Advisor, Tricia Earl, patricia.a.earl@ttu.edu

Face-to-face sections - Once the mas enorllment is reached, override requests are a first-come, first-seve basis. See information below.

Are you a Non-Minor?

For Non-WS Minor students wishing to be granted an override in a face-to-face WS 2300 section will need to contact the WS Academic Advisor to discuss the possibility to enter the WS Prefix course.

We recommend that students monitor the class in Raiderlink now and until the first week of classes to see if someone drops. The only reason you might see a negative number in the enrollment for the face-to-face sections is that I am working with students that need the class because they are Minoring in WS.

If no one drops, you should follow our override request policy/procedure which is as follows:

Students wishing to be granted an override in a face-to-face class that is full should plan to arrive the fist day of class (10 min early) and meet face-to-face with the instructor of the section you are interested in, to see if there is a chance at an override. The instructor is the one that will make the decision to add you or not, pending the size of the room and availability of chairs.

Are you a Minor?

Note: " Intro to Women's Studies" is required for all Minors

WS Minors should make an appointment to be advised in order to be added to any WS 2300 section that is full. Contact the WS Academic Advisor.

Other WS Prefix Courses

  • Non-Minor

    All Non-WS Minor students need to view the home department that is offering the course (cross-listed section non-WS prefix course) to register for that section, as the WS prefix section is saved for our WS Minors only. If that section is full, please contact the WS Academic Advisor to discuss the possibility to enter the WS Prefix course.
  • Minor

    WS Minors should make an appointment to be advised in order to be added to any WS 2300 course that is full. Contact the WS Academic Advisor.

Who can I talk to about adding a WS class?

  • The Women's Studies scheduler, Tricia Earl, will remove the "special approval" during the first week of classes to accomodate students. If you need assistance before then, please don't hesitate to email or call us.

What Classes Can I Take?

  • Listed here are all the cross-listed classes associated with the program.  Women's Studies cannot offer these courses without confirmation from the home department.

Thinking about becoming a Minor?

Visit the current student degree plan here - Current Student
Review the Curriculum Table - Curriculum Table for Undergrad Minor

See TTU Catalog for detail descriptions