Online Discussion Netiquette
Netiquette refers to “Network Etiquette”. It is the way one should behave when sending email, posting to threaded discussions, or chatting online.
Here are some basic rules to help you get the most out of your online learning:
- ALL CAPS IMPLIES THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING - Please do not do this!
- Watch your “tone” - it's written, not verbal communication. It can be very easy to misinterpret someone's meaning online.
- Check your spelling - Always!
- Make your messages easier to read by making your paragraphs short and to the point.
- Never “say” anything that you would not want posted on the wall of a face to face classroom, because it could be!
- Behave as you would in a face-to-face classroom.
- Remember there is a real live person at the other end reading your posts and email. Treat them with respect.
- Foul language, insults and harassment are not tolerated (just as it would not be tolerated in a face to face classroom).
- Think about what you have written before you submit it.
eLearning & Academic Partnerships
AddressTexas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
PhoneOffice (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537