Texas Tech University

State Authorization

For Texas Tech University to offer (online or correspondence) courses in a state other than Texas, Texas Tech must first comply with that state's requirements. These requirements differ from state to state, with requirements being more rigorous and expensive in some states than others.

States Authorized for Distance Education by Texas Tech
Map displaying authorized states
Authorized States
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas
California Colorado Connecticut Delaware
District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii
Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa
Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland
Massachusetts Michigan Mississippi Missouri
Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire
New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina
Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania Rhode Island
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas
Utah Vermont Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming
Pending States
Kansas North Dakota
Not Authorized States
Minnesota - Texas Tech University will not be pursuing authorization in Minnesota. Therefore, Texas Tech will not accept students residing in Minnesota for online programs/courses.

Texas Tech is currently working to gain authorization to offer online courses in the remaining states. If your state is not listed above, please contact elearning@ttu.edu to inquire about the current status of your state.

Online Programs and More

Visit the TTU Worldwide eLearning Site for more information on courses offered by Texas Tech online and at regional sites.

Texas Tech University is authorized to deliver 100% online programs in the states indicated in red. Any activity outside the state of Texas beyond electronic communication between the university and the individual student may trigger the need for additional authorization*. Approval to conduct additional program activities outside the state of Texas may be requested by submitting the Outside the State of Texas Activity Request Form at least one semester before the desired start date of the expected activity.

*Examples of activities in other states which may trigger the need for additional authorization include:

  • Instructional activities such as internships, field experiences, clinical practicums, or face-to-face experiences involving students, faculty, employees, or agents
  • Recruiting activities including college visits and job fairs
  • Advertisement targeted to residents in the state such as a local media buy or through Facebook
  • Third-Party agreements or contracts such as recruiting or student services including proctoring
  • Employment including full-time or part-time or adjunct faculty, mentors, tutors, preceptors, clinical supervisors, or proctors
  • Owning, operating, or controlling property such as renting a building or leasing an IP address


TTU Worldwide eLearning