Incoming students must purchase a computer that meets or exceeds the set of specifications defined for the academic year the student joins the program. For example, freshmen and transfer students incoming during the 2016-2017 academic year will be expected to have a computer which meets the specifications for the 2016-2017 academic year.
These recommendations are designed to provide students with the basis for purchasing a computer which is optimized for running the latest CAD, imaging, and 3D modeling software.
Minimum Laptop Computer Requirement
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications :
- Processor: 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 quad-core processor, 2.4Ghz or greater
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Display: 15 inch or larger, 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Video Card: Quadro M1000M or AMD Radeon R9 M370X 
- Networking: Wireless 802.11N and Ethernet adapter
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 or newer, or OS X Mavericks or newer
- Warranty: 3 years or greater
- Recovery: OS installation media
- Backup: external hard drive
- When comparing laptop components, visit notebookcheck.net to compare CPUs and GPUs with those in the specification.
- Laptops do not allow the addition of new video hardware. For the laptop to be capable of running the 3D software applications used in our program, it is important to choose a video card that meets or exceeds the minimum specifications. No laptops with only an Intel video card meet these requirements, though some laptops contain a power-saving Intel card, and a performance graphics card.
- Some laptops do not allow after-market upgrades of memory, so it is necessary to buy the model of computer which will perform well into the future, as software tends to require more memory with newer versions.
Apple Macintosh Computers:
Some 15 inch Macbook Pro laptops exceed the specifications for the minimum computer requirement, depending on the model chosen. Software programs required for use in some courses are only available for Microsoft Windows. To use this software, Windows will have to be purchased separately and installed on the laptop. Students are responsible for obtaining, installing, and maintaining software on their computers.
Financial Aid Application for purchasing a laptop:
Discounted laptops for TTU College of Architecture Students:
- Apple Education Store with discounts for students
- Dell University Program for the College of Architecture
- Creation Engine academic software discounts for students.