Proctorio Student FAQs
(Online Remote Proctoring)
All online Courses and Credit by Examinations at TTU K-12 include remote proctoring that alleviates the need for a physical proctor. Our remote proctoring solution is a tool called Proctorio. Using Proctorio, students are able to take the online exam anytime, anywhere once they are ready. There is no need to secure a proctor, arrange an exam time, and travel to the agreed-upon testing location. Students can take the exam from their home computer at any time.
Students are required to have a webcam (USB or internal) with a microphone when taking the exam. Students are also required to use the Google Chrome browser and download the Proctorio Chrome Extension before attempting their exam. You will be required to have a valid ID and will be asked to test your microphone, speakers, and scan your testing environment before beginning your exam.
Proctorio's remote proctoring service is used with some quizzes and exams at TTU K-12. Proctorio may record your webcam, your screen, or other actions during the exam session and share that information with your instructor.
What Information Does Proctorio Collect From Students?
Unlike other online proctoring services, Proctorio does not employ the use of biometrics or external human based proctors to monitor the student while they take the exam. Proctorio will record the students' identity via webcam and, depending upon the exam settings controlled by individual instructors, monitor your exam attempt in various ways. A multitude of privacy provisions have been established to ensure student privacy and FERPA compliance.
- Proctorio has no file access of any kind. Proctorio cannot and will not access any of your personal files or documents.
- During an exam Proctorio may take screenshots of your desktop, detect the number of computer monitors connected to your computer, or record your web traffic. This information will only be recorded if the teacher has enabled it within the exam settings. The information is stored with zero-knowledge encryption, which means the data is encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- Once an exam is completed, Proctorio no longer has access to this information.
- It is impossible for anyone at Proctorio or any of its affiliates to view exam recordings. They are only accessible to authorized users at TTU K-12 and through its Blackboard system.
- Proctorio never stores academic information from any of its users.
Is Online Proctoring Required For All Online Exams?
All online Credit By Exams (CBEs) will require online proctoring. Starting September 2019, all course final exams will require online proctoring.
What Will I Need?
Students will need a webcam with microphone (internal or USB), their student ID, the Google Chrome browser, the Proctorio extension, and a quiet private location with a reliable internet connection. It is the student's responsibility to ensure these requirements are met.
What If I Have A Technical Problem?
Check to make sure that you are 1) using the Chrome browser and 2) have the proper extension installed. If you continue to experience technical issues, Proctorio offers 24/7 technical support to students via email, or phone at (480) 428-4089 or toll-free (866) 948-9248.
What About Accessibility And Those Students With Special Needs?
Proctorio is VPAT certified, 508 compliant, and fully accessible to those with special needs.
Who Ultimately Determines If Cheating Has Occurred?
Just like a traditional class exam, this is determined by the instructor.
How Does It Work?
Proctorio requires the use of the Google Chrome web browser and uses the Proctorio extension (see “How do I prepare?”) Proctorio is active when you log in to the exam and is gone when you log out. During the exam, a system of computers captures your movements and sends your video and other data to your instructor for review. Proctorio will flag activity that might not be allowed. Your instructor will then be able to review the video and data to decide if any action is necessary.
Proctorio has provided a full setup guide for students with videos.
What Do I Need To Take My Exam
- A quiet and distraction free area you feel comfortable taking your exam. Prepare to be seated here for the entire duration of the exam.
- Any computer with Google Chrome and the Proctorio extension.
- A reliable internet connection.
- A working webcam and microphone if required by your instructor.
- Exams will require a photo ID. Please have it ready.
How Do I Prepare?
- You need to use a regular computer (Windows/Mac computer or laptop). You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc). You need a working webcam and microphone (depending on the options your instructor has selected).
- You must use the Google Chrome web browser and the Proctorio Extension.
- Install the Proctorio extension for Google Chrome. It takes less than 30 seconds. The exam that requires Proctorio will usually prompt you to install the extension if you need it.
- Have a photo ID card available. You will be asked to hold up your ID to document you are the test taker.
- Be ready for room scans. Proctorio will ask you to do a room scan; turning your web camera in a 360-degree pan to look at the room. Proctorio may ask more than once if the program hears noises: the application is trying to ensure there is nobody else in the room.
Questions And Troubleshooting
How Do I Perform A Room Scan?
You may be randomly asked to perform a room scan during your exam. If this happens, lift your webcam or laptop and slowly turn it around to give a 360-degree view of your exam environment. Do not move the camera too fast or it won't provide a clear video and you may be asked to perform the scan again. It is important to show each corner of the room and your desktop area.
Once you are finished, return your webcam or laptop as close to its original position as best you can.
If you're using a desktop computer with a built-in webcam (e.g. iMac), it might be difficult to lift and rotate the entire computer. You can either rotate a mirror in front of the webcam or ask your instructor for furthervinstruction.
Failure to perform the room scan properly may result in a violation of exam procedures.
Reinstalling The Proctorio Extension
Sometimes you need to reinstall to update the extension. Remove it and reinstall it:
- Go to Customize and Control Google Chrome (three dots in the upper right of the browser) > More Tools > Extensions
- Find the Proctorio extension and click the Remove from Chrome (trash can) icon.
- Go back to the quiz and it will prompt you to install of the extension.
I'm Still Having Problems!
You can call or email Proctorio Support: (480) 428-4089 or (866) 948-9248 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also access the Proctorio Student Support center from within your course once
you click on the exam link by clicking on “Learn more about Proctorio”.
If you need help, click the shield in the upper right-hand corner of the Blackboard page to activate Proctorio's Live Chat.
Students and parents must understand that this remote recording device is purchased and controlled by the student and that recording from any private residence must be done with the permission of any person residing in that residence. To avoid any concerns in this regard, students should select private spaces for the testing.