As a public research university, Texas Tech advances knowledge through innovative and creative teaching, research, and scholarship. The university is dedicated to student success by preparing learners to be ethical leaders for a diverse and globally competitive workforce. The university is committed to enhancing the cultural and economic development of the state, nation, and world.
Texas Tech University is the largest institution of the Texas Tech University System. More than 32,000 students attend classes in Lubbock on the 1,839-acre campus. The university also operates the Research Center–East Campus (Lubbock); Texas Tech University Farm at Pantex in the Texas Panhandle; research facilities at Reese Technology Center (west of Lubbock); agricultural field laboratories at New Deal; Texas Tech University Center at Junction (411-acre educational facility in the Texas Hill Country); and off-campus educational sites at El Paso, Fredericksburg, Highland Lakes, and Waco.
Texas Tech University was created by legislative action in 1923 and has the distinction of being the largest comprehensive higher education institution in the western two-thirds of the state of Texas. The university is the major institution of higher education in a region larger than 46 of the nation's 50 states and is the only campus in Texas that is home to a major university, law school, and medical school.
Originally named Texas Technological College, the college opened in 1925 with six buildings and an enrollment of 914. Graduate instruction did not begin until 1927 within the School of Liberal Arts. A "Division of Graduate Studies" was established in 1935 and eventually became known as the Graduate School in 1954.
By action of the Texas State Legislature, Texas Technological College formally became Texas Tech University on September 1, 1969. At that time the schools of Agricultural Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, and Home Economics also became known as "colleges." Architecture became a college in 1986. Two colleges changed their names in 1993 to reflect the broadening fields each serves: the College of Agricultural Sciences became the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and the College of Home Economics became the College of Human Sciences. The Honors College was established in 1998, and the College of Visual and Performing Arts opened in 2002. Media and Communication became a college in 2004.
The Texas State Legislature authorized funds in 1965 for establishing the Texas Tech University School of Law, and the Law School's first dean was appointed in 1966. The first class of 72 students enrolled in 1967. The Law School was approved by the American Bar Association in 1970 and is fully accredited by the Supreme Court of Texas (1968) and the Association of American Law Schools (1969).
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Texas Tech began competing
in the Big 12 Conference in 1996 after a 35-year membership in the former Southwest
Texas Tech was first accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1928 and has been accredited continuously since that time. Texas Tech University was selected to shelter a Phi Beta Kappa chapter in 2006.
The presidents of Texas Tech have been Paul Whitfield Horn (1925–1932), Bradford Knapp (1932–1938), Clifford Bartlett Jones (1938–1944), William Marvin Whyburn (1944–1948), Dossie Marion Wiggins (1948–1952), Edward Newlon Jones (1952–1959), Robert Cabaniss Goodwin (1960–1966), Grover Elmer Murray (1966–1976), Maurice Cecil Mackey Jr., (1976–1979), Lauro Fred Cavazos (1980–1988), Robert W. Lawless (1989–1996), Donald R. Haragan (1996–2000), David J. Schmidly (2000-2002), Jon Whitmore (2003-2008), Guy Bailey (2008-2012, and M. Duane Nellis (2013-present).
The Texas Tech University School of Medicine was created by the 61st Legislature in 1969 as a multi-campus institution with Lubbock as the administrative center and with regional campuses in Amarillo, El Paso, and the Permian Basin. In 1979, the charter was expanded and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center was created with the addition of the School of Nursing, the School of Allied Health, and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
With the creation of the Texas Tech University System in 1996, the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center became a separate university. Today it consists of Schools of Nursing, Allied Health, and Pharmacy; a Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; and the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso.
In 2007, Angelo State University in San Angelo joined the Texas Tech University System. The school was founded in 1928 as a two-year college and began offering four-year degrees in 1965.
A nine-member Board of Regents governs Texas Tech University, Angelo State University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. The Governor of the State of Texas appoints the Regents to six-year terms. The terms of office of three Regents expire every two years. The governance, control, and direction of the university are vested in the Regents who in turn appoint a Chancellor to carry out the policies of the system as determined by the Regents. The Chancellor appoints a president of each institution in the system. The presidents are chief executive officers of their respective institutions and responsible for the strategic operation of each institution. The President of Texas Tech University is supported by a Provost and Senior Vice President who oversees the educational programs of the university; a Vice President for Administration and Finance who is responsible for the fiscal operations of the university and the physical plant; a Vice President for Research who directs the research efforts of the university; and a Vice President for Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement who supports the institution's strategic diversity goals by providing programs, services, and resources.
Texas Tech University consists of the Graduate School; School of Law; Honors College; and the Colleges of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Engineering, Human Sciences, Media and Communication, and Visual and Performing Arts. Each college is administered by a dean and consists of a number of instructional departments or areas.
M. Duane Nellis, Ph.D.
President, Professor of Geosciences
Lawrence E. Schovanec, Ph.D.
Provost and Senior Vice President,
Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
Noel Sloan, J.D., CPA
Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer; Assistant Vice President, Financial Services and Tax
Robert V. Duncan, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research
Juan S. Muñoz, Ph.D.
Senior Vice President for Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement; Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Affairs, Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction
Robert Duncan, J.D.
Term Expires January 31, 2015
Mickey L. Long, Chair.............Midland
John B. Walker.......................Houston
Term Expires January 31, 2017
Larry K. Anders, Vice Chair......Dallas
Debbie Montford..............San Antonio
John D. Steinmetz..................Lubbock
Term Expires January 31, 2019
L. Frederick "Rick" Francis......El Paso
Term Expires May 31, 2015
Mark Sheridan, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies; Dean, Graduate School;
Professor of Biology
Darby Dickerson, J.D.
Dean, School of Law; W. Frank Newton Professor of Law
Michael L. Galyean, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Agricutural Sciences and Natural Resources; Paul Whitfield Horn Professor and Thornton Distinguished Chair, Animal and Food Sciences
Andrew D. Vernooy, M.Des.S.
Dean and Professor, College of Architecture
Robert A. Stewart, Ph.D.
Senior Vice Provost; Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences;
Professor of Communication Studies
Lance A. Nail, Ph.D., CFA
Dean, Jerry S. Rawls College of Business Administration;
Professor of Business Administration
Scott Ridley, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Education; Professor of Education
Al Sacco, Jr., Ph.D.
Dean, Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering;
Professor of Chemical Engineering
Michael San Francisco, Ph.D.
Dean, Honors College; Professor of Biology
Linda C. Hoover, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Human Sciences;
Professor of Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management
David D. Perlmutter, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Media and Communication;
Professor of Journalism and Electronic Media/Public Relations
Carol D. Edwards, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts; Professor of Art