Join Our Team
Dear Perspective Applicant,
Thank you for interest in becoming a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader! We are always looking for students who have a passion for helping other students, and enjoy explaining material in an innovative way. For more information about SI, please click here. Additionally, this webpage has information about the SI Leader application process, frequently asked questions, and all of the forms needed to apply.
We accept applications on a rolling basis. Each semester we have numerous openings in Math, Chemistry, and other sciences. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications even though openings might not be available at this time, but could be in future semesters. There is no official deadline for our applications, however we like to have all of our SI Leader placed before the semester begins.
If you have any additional questions, then do not hesitate to contact me either via e-mail at email@example.com, or 806-834-1476.
Supplemental Instruction Assistant Director
Effective August 1, all SI Leader applications and recommendations will be only accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please e-mail Will Lopez to discuss any open SI Leader or student assistant positions.
SI Leader Information Session
There are no more information sessions this semester. Please check back in during the spring for information session times and dates. Contact Will Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information about SI Leader or student assistant positions.
Spring 2020 Positions Available (updated 1/8):
BIOL 3320 - Cell Biology
CHEM 3310 - Molecular Biochemistry
MATH 1331 - Introductory Mathematical Analysis II
PHYS 2401 - Principles of Physics II
• Current undergraduate student at Texas Tech University
• 3.00 Cumulative GPA from Texas Tech
• Must have completed at least 30 credit hours
• Grade of "A" for desired course assignment received from Texas Tech
• Must be available to attend the class that they SI for, and hold review sessions in the late afternoon/early evening.
• Must be able to communicate the course work effectively
• Attend all lectures for the SI course that you are assigned
• Hold two weekly review sessions for 90 minutes in length utilizing the readings, lectures, notes, and homework.
• Weekly e-mails to all students enrolled in the SI course assigned
• Meet monthly with faculty partners to discuss SI sessions
• Attend semester training and professional development opportunities
• Do one or two hours of weekly prep time in the office. New SI Leaders are required to do two of prep time in the office, while returning SI Leaders are required to do one hour of prep time.
• Enhance communication and public speaking skills.
• Partner and collaborate with Texas Tech faculty.
• Deepen knowledge of subject matter for graduate school.
• Improve time management skills.
• Develop facilitation skills.
What is the SI Leader Application Process?
All potential applicants must submit a completed application and the two recommendations. After these documents are received the SI office will contact applicants they are interested in interviewing.
What is a mock SI Session?
A mock SI session is a part of the interview process after an applicant has submitted all of the required documents. The three to five minute presentation will be on a topic of the applicants choice in the course they would like to SI for. We would also ask that the applicant prepares a one to two page handout on the topic that they will present on.
What qualities, attributes, or skills are you seeking in candidates?
SI is looking for candidates that meet our core values, can communicate in a global society, and are good academic role models. The core values for SI, as voted on by our SI Leaders are approachability, collaboration, empowering, encouraging, and engaging.
What are the documents needed to complete the application?
The documents needed to complete the application are the completed application form, and two recommendations. The recommendations can either be the SI recommendation form, or two letters of recommendation.
Is there a deadline for applications?
There is not a deadline for the SI Leader applications. However, all SI Leaders are placed before the school year begins, and must attend mandatory training before the semester starts. In order to be consider for the Fall semester, all applications must be submitted by August 1; and for the Spring semester, all applications should be submitted by January 1st.
Can I turn in the application and recommendations at different times?
Yes, the application and recommendation forms can be turned in at different times.
Are SI Leaders allowed to choose the days and times of their sessions?
SI Leaders are allowed to choose the days and times of their sessions. Sessions typically start after 4PM, and end by 9PM. Some SI Leaders also choose to have their sessions on Sunday for reviews, and in some classes on a regular basis. There are no SI Sessions on Friday and Saturdays.
Are SI Leaders allowed to choose the SI class they would to attend?
SI Leaders can choose which SI course they would like to attend, depending on their schedule. In courses with multiple SI Leader, special requests can be made to attend certain sections.