TTUISD is proud to partner with the Institute for the Development and Enrichment of Advanced Learners (IDEAL) and their Shake Hands With Your Future program in order to host the Texas Tech Summer Camps. Since 2012, TTUISD’s academic summer program has generated excitement about higher education and attending Texas Tech University.
IDEAL at Texas Tech University was established in 1984 to open the eyes of thousands of students to the endless adventures in science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics (STEAM). IDEAL offers a variety of programs that encourage K-12 students to pursue a post secondary education, introduce students to new fields of study and provide a hands on learning environment to encourage academic success.
Shake Hands With Your Future is an IDEAL summer residential camp for academically talented students that equips students with the tools necessary to be successful academic leaders in their school and community. Students experience university life and attend classes built upon a STEAM based curriculum. The camp includes field trips and recreational activities.
During TTUISD's Texas Tech Summer Camp, students may have the opportunity to visit the Outdoor School at Texas Tech University in Junction, Texas. The Outdoor School is devoted to creating innovative educational experiences that immerse learners into authentic, real-world, hands-on activities that stimulate imagination and understanding of difficult abstract concepts.
The Outdoor School is an extension of the classroom. They offer instructional field trips in the great outdoors! The units taught are aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). The Outdoor School takes pride in providing the equipment and environment needed to perform meaningful field investigations.
TTU Hosted Camps
Texas Tech University hosts a variety of informational, athletic, and special-interest camps.
- Fashion Camp (ages 9-15) is dedicated to enhancing each camper's knowledge of fashion - ranging from lessons and activities on fashion show production and other activities that enhance their individual style and sense of creativity.
- Band & Orchestra Camp is a highly qualified faculty and staff of over 100 serve a limited enrollment of talented students. Campers attend ensemble rehearsals, master classes, performances, recitals, and optional recreation & social activities.
- Chef Camp (ages 13-17) is dedicated to enhancing each camper's knowledge of culinary arts - ranging from lessons and activities on plating and presentation to learning about foods.
- The philosophy of the Texas Tech High Altitude Cross Country Camp is to encourage and prepare serious cross country runners for the high school cross country season.
- The Science: It's a Girl Thing camp's goals are to provide girls (grades 5-11) with strong role models and dispel myths and misconceptions about science and careers in science.
- Run on The Wind (grades 7-11) provides young scholars with an introduction to the field of wind science and an opportunity to consider wind science as a future academic pursuit.
- Shake Hands (grades 4-11) is a summer residential camp for academically talented students. Students experience university life and attend two classes. The camp includes field trips and recreational activities.
- The Texas Tech Summer Math Academy (SuMAc) is a hands-on, intensive, mathematics academy offered to students wanting to further their knowledge and understanding of mathematics and research. To enroll, students must have received either an A or B in high school Algebra I and Geometry.
- Our tennis camps are designed for every type of player from beginner to players looking to play college tennis. We look forward to having fun and giving you the best tennis experience possible.
- The goal of golf camp is to provide each golfer with an enjoyable atmosphere where he/she can advance their golf knowledge and technique. During the camp, each golfer will engage in competition, receive a mix of individual and small group instruction, utilize on-course training, and have opportunities to learn about playing golf at the collegiate and professional levels.
- We are proud and excited to host our first ever girls-only golf camp (ages 11-18)! Our goal is for you to experience what college golf is all about.
- Come enjoy a soccer camp where you will learn new techniques, and how to enhance your skills. With various camps, nearly every age is welcome.
- Through various camps hosted at different times, Coach Tubby Smith offers basketball instruction, development, competition and entertainment.
- Texas Tech Football Camps are coached by Coach Kliff Kingsbury and his football staff. All camps are non-contact, specializing in technique and fundamentals. They are open to any entrants ages 8‑18.