The Virginia Murray Sowell Center for Research and Education in Sensory Disabilities
The Sowell Center promotes quality research to address the academic and social needs of school-age students with sensory disabilities and provides public service to assist local, national and international constituencies.
Student Information & Deadlines
- O&M Program Contacts: Ms. Anita Page (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Nora Griffin-Shirley (email@example.com)
- TVI Program Contact: Dr. Rona Pogrund (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reach Across Texas Contact: Anita Page (email@example.com) and Gabriella Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deafblind Program Contact: Dr. Phoebe Okungu (email@example.com)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program Contacts: Dr. Leigh Kackley (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Pam Lindell (email@example.com)
Curriculum Change for O&M Students Working on a Master's Degree
In Summer 2020, the comprehensive examination will change from the UKAT/RASW project to a comprehensive research paper.
For current students who are working on a master's degree and have completed the UKAT/RASW project for internship, you will be given the option of using the project as your comprehensive examination or completing the comprehensive research paper. All new students starting Spring 2020 will be required to complete the comprehensive research paper.
More details about the comprehensive examination will be provided during spring semester 2020.
EDSP 5093 Course fee
Attention students in the teacher of students with visual impairments' program and orientation and mobility specialist's program:
Effective Fall semester 2012, all students who register for EDSP 5093, Internship in Special Education, who are not covered by a grant, will pay a course fee of $750.00 in addition to the tuition cost of the course. This money will cover costs incurred by the university internship supervisor's expenses, who will observe you teach.
Apply now for Texas Tech University scholarships at www.scholarships.ttu.edu. This application will get you considered for academic and need based scholarships, but your college or department is probably using this application too! Maximize your scholarship opportunities by completing the Current Student Scholarship Application.
Reach Across Texas Application Information
Financial Aid for Students With Disabilities
OnlineSchools.org has compiled a list of financial aid options for students with disabilities. View the complete guide here.
News & Events
Dr. Griffin-Shirley Honored with 2020 Blaha Award
Nora Griffin-Shirley, professor and director of the the Virginia Murray Sowell Center for Research and Education in Sensory Disabilities, received the 2020 Lawrence E. Blaha Award from the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind & Visually Impaired (AER).
It is the highest award that the association's Orientation & Mobility (O&M) Division can bestow, honoring people for exemplary behavior in the field of O&M, outstanding contributions to the profession and dedication to serving people with visual impairments.
OSEP Funded Sowell Center to Train Professionals in Neurological Visual Impairment
Drs. Rona Pogrund and Nora Griffin-Shirley received $1.25 million from the Office of Special Education Programs for Project INVITE – Interdisciplinary Neurological Visual Impairment (NVI) Teaching Experts: Training Professionals to Work with Children with Visual Impairments in Rural, Remote, and High-Need Areas. Project INVITE will prepare teachers of students with visual impairments (TVIs) and orientation and mobility (O&M) specialists through two interdisciplinary master's degree programs focusing on Neurological Visual Impairment (NVI). The project outcomes include:
- 30 new professionals will obtain a master's degree in either VI or O&M in Idaho, Montana, Texas, or Wyoming with training in NVI and be eligible for certification as a TVI or an O&M specialist.
- Scholars will serve more students with visual impairments resulting in improvement in learning outcomes or successful transition.
- Scholars will be proficient using distance education technology, have shared coursework, and local support.
Virginia Murray Sowell Center for Research and Education in Sensory Disabilities
P.O. Box 41071
Lubbock, TX 79409