Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program
Texas Tech University's Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program is designed for working teachers interested in pursuing careers as elementary or secondary school principals in Texas.
- 36 credit hours
- Coursework is completed using a variety of instructional methods. Attendance is required all-day one Saturday per month at one of Texas Tech University's regional sites - TTU at Fredericksburg, TTU at Highland Lakes or TTU Center at Junction. The rest of the coursework can be completed online.
- Cohort students follow a predetermined schedule of courses. Course rotation varies by cohort. New cohorts begin each semester.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University.
- Program Website
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least two months prior to projected initial enrollment. Learn more.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's Graduate School as a master's student. When asked
to select a major, be sure to choose the degree entry that corresponds to your area
of interest, followed by the word online.
- Complete the Graduate Admissions Application.
- $60 initial application fee or $50 for each subsequent application (including changes of entry date, add/change program requests, or readmission requests).
- Applicants must have unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended sent to Texas Tech University Graduate School at email@example.com. If you are admitted, you will then be required to submit official transcripts.
- Students planning to pursue a master's degree are strongly encouraged to submit Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores to the Graduate School, but GRE scores are not required for application.
- The admissions process is viewed holistically by the College of Education and the Graduate School, so there is no stated minimum GRE or GPA requirement. Learn more.
- All international applicants must provide proof of English proficiency before their applications can be considered for admission. A list of acceptable exams can be found on the Graduate School International Prospective Student webpage. This test is waived only for graduates of U.S. universities or universities in English proficiency-exempt countries. Applicants who have completed at least two consecutive years at a college or university in the U.S. or in an English proficiency-exempt country, are also exempt from the English proficiency requirement.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's College of Education.
- Apply through the College of Education.
- Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships and College of Education Graduate Scholarships.
- Financial aid is distributed based on full-time enrollment and several other eligibility requirements. Your enrolled hours as of the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters determines your enrollment status for the semester, and financial aid is disbursed accordingly. Attending less than full-time could mean a reduction in aid. Learn more about student status.
- Upon your acceptance into the Graduate School and the College of Education, you will
work with a faculty advisor to develop a degree plan. If you receive notification
of rejection, you may contact the Associate Dean of Graduate Education and Research,
(806) 742-1998, ext. 436, for advisement regarding the admissions appeals process.
- The Graduate School and the College of Education will notify you of your admissions status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink.
- If you receive notification of rejection, you may contact the Associate Dean of Graduate Education and Research, (806) 742-1998, ext. 436, for advisement regarding the admissions appeals process.
Interested in taking only one or two courses? Use Texas Tech University's Graduate Temporary Status to apply and take as many as 12 credit hours without completing the application process to a degree program.
The 36-hour Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program is designed to prepare students interested in pursuing careers as elementary or secondary school principals in Texas.
The program utilizes study of factual knowledge and theory, as well as internship field experiences, to develop student knowledge and skills. The 36 credit hour Principal Professional Certification Program includes the following courses:
|EDLD 5306||School-based Leadership|
|EDLD 5310||Instructional Supervision|
|EDLD 5320||Data-driven Communication|
|EDLD 5325||Decision Making in Educational Leadership|
|EDLD 5340||Educational Law|
|EDLD 5350||School Personnel and Fiscal Management|
|EDLD 5351||Communication for School Leaders|
|EDLD 5361||Process of Educational Change|
|EDLD 5370||Implementation Challenges in Educational Leadership|
|EDLD 5385||Teams in Educational Leadership|
|EDLD 5392A||First Semester Principal Internship|
|EDLD 5392B||Second Semester Principal Internship|
Students must also complete Instructional Leadership Development (ILD) and Professional Development and Supervision (PDAS) training at a Texas Regional Education Service Center (equivalent to 3 semester credit hours).
Successful completion of the courses above satisfies the academic requirements for the school principalship in Texas.
The courses above include course requirements for professional school principal certification in Texas. Such certification also requires a satisfactory score on SBEC's TExES examination for school principals, a valid Texas teacher certificate, and two years of teaching experience. Students must also apply to the College of Education Certification Office.
Learn more about courses and internship requirements.
Contact the program coordinator by phone.
- Name: Joe Claudet
- Phone: 806.834.1076
TTU Worldwide eLearning
Address:Texas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
Phone:Office (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537
Connect With Us:Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram