Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program
Texas Tech University's Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program is designed for working teachers interested in pursuing careers as elementary or secondary school principals in Texas.
- 42 credit hours
- Coursework is completed using a variety of instructional methods. Attendance is required all-day one Saturday per month at one of Texas Tech University's regional sites - TTU at Fredericksburg, TTU at Highland Lakes or TTU Center at Junction. The rest of the coursework can be completed online.
- Cohort students follow a predetermined schedule of courses. Course rotation varies by cohort. New cohorts begin in the first summer session.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University.
- Program Handbook
- Program Website
Talk to Us
Contact the program coordinator by phone.
- Name: Joe Claudet
- Phone: 806.742.1997 ext. 315
Although there is no application deadline, prospective students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least three months prior to projected initial enrollment. Learn more.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's Graduate School.
- Complete the Graduate Admissions Application.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's College of Education.
- For advisement on the admissions process, please contact one of the programs' faculty members.
- Apply for financial aid and/or general scholarships.
- Financial aid is distributed based on full-time enrollment and several other eligibility requirements. Your enrolled hours as of the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters determines your enrollment status for the semester, and financial aid is disbursed accordingly. Attending less than full-time could mean a reduction in aid. Learn more.
- Check your admissions status. Texas Tech University will notify you of your admissions status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink.
The 36-credit hour Master of Education in Education Leadership program is completely integrated into the 42 credit hour Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program. The Principal Professional Certification Preparation Program is designed to prepare students interested in pursuing careers as elementary or secondary school principals in Texas.
The program utilizes study of factual knowledge and theory, as well as internship field experiences, to develop student knowledge and skills. The 42 credit hour Principal Professional Certification Program includes the following courses:
|EDLD 5001||Advanced Education Workshops in Teaching and Administration|
|EDLD 5306||School-based Leadership|
|EDLD 5310||Instructional Supervision|
|EDLD 5330||Staff Development|
|EDLD 5340||Educational Law|
|EDLD 5350||School Personnel and Fiscal Management|
|EDLD 5361||Process of Educational Change|
|EDLD 5391||School and Community|
|EDLD 5392A||Principal Internship in Education, First Semester|
|EDLD 5392B||Principal Internship in Education, Second Semester|
|EDCI 5320||Curriculum Theory: Foundations|
|EDCI 5380 Action Research I* OR EPSY 5379 Introduction to Educational Research*|
|EPSY 5323||Cultural Foundations of Education|
Students must also complete Instructional Leadership Development (ILD) and Professional Development and Supervision (PDAS) training at a Texas Regional Education Service Center (equivalent to 3 semester credit hours).
*Students have the option of taking either EDCI 5380 (Action Research I) or EPSY 5379 (Introduction to Educational Research).
Successful completion of the courses above satisfies the academic requirements for the school principalship in Texas.
The courses above include course requirements for professional school principal certification in Texas. Such certification also requires a satisfactory score on SBEC's TExES examination for school principals, a valid Texas teacher certificate, and two years of teaching experience. Students must also apply to the College of Education Certification Office.
Learn more about courses and internship requirements.