About the Free Market Institute
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Free Market Institute (FMI) at Texas Tech University is to advance the teaching of and research directly related to the virtues of free markets. The FMI promotes scholarship that crosses disciplinary boundaries, providing a forum that encourages and values discussion and rigorous debate regarding all aspects of free markets. The FMI coordinates programs that engage Texas Tech University, the broader Lubbock community, and public and scholarly communities across the nation and the world.
The FMI achieves these ends through:
- Affiliated Faculty — The Institute recruits emerging scholars and recognized experts in free market economics to join the university faculty.
- Teaching — Institute faculty and staff offer courses for undergraduate and graduate students through existing academic departments.
- Research — Institute faculty and staff pursue independent scholarly research and participate in Institute-sponsored research programs.
- Public Speaker Series/Visiting Scholars Program — The Institute hosts scholars from around the world, who deliver public lectures and advance the Institute's research and outreach missions.
- Graduate Fellowships — The Institute awards fellowships to promising doctoral students, who will become researchers and teachers at other domestic and international institutions.
- Undergraduate Programs — The Institute operates a reading group and sponsors seminars for students interested in exploring the ideas of free market economics and classical liberalism.
- Outreach — Institute faculty and staff members write articles for popular audiences, give television, radio and podcast interviews on current public policy issues, and deliver public lectures at events across the country and the world.
Through a systematic approach of joining diverse parts of the university into a comprehensive effort to better understand and explain the societal benefits of market exchange, entrepreneurship and innovation, the Free Market Institute has the ability to place Texas Tech University at the pinnacle of universities constructively addressing the challenges of modern economies.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors for the Free Market Institute provides advice and counsel on the Institute's affairs and plays an important role in its future growth. Board members include individuals from the Texas Tech University community, as well as other academic and business communities. Current board members are listed below.
- Robert Duncan — Senior Vice President for Research at Texas Tech University
- Benjamin Powell — Director of the Free Market Institute and Professor of Economics in the Jerry S. Rawls College of Business Administration at Texas Tech University
- Eduardo Segarra — Professor of Agricultural and Applied Economics in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources at Texas Tech University
- F. Scott Dueser — Former Chairman of the Board of Regents at Texas Tech University System and Chairman, President & CEO at First Financial Bankshares, Inc.
- Jerry Goolsby — Alumnus (B.A./M.B.A./Ph.D.) of Texas Tech University and Hilton/Baldridge Eminent Scholar (retired) at Loyola University New Orleans
- Peter Boettke — University Professor of Economics and Philosophy at George Mason University
- J.R. Clark — Scott L. Probasco, Jr. Chair of Free Enterprise at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga