[Date changed 6/8/16 (replaces 8/4/14/ edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 30.07: KTTZ - FM
DATE: June 8, 2016
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to ensure understanding and standardized procedures concerning KTTZ-FM.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in March of even-numbered years by the managing director of Texas Tech Public Broadcasting - with substantive revisions presented to the senior vice provost and the provost and senior vice president.
1. KTTZ-FM is a non-commercial, educational FM radio station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to the Board of Regents of Texas Tech University. KTTZ is licensed as a Class C1 station and is authorized to operate at 70,000 watts effective radiated power on 89.1 MHz.
2. As the South Plains' only listener-supported public radio station, KTTZ's mission is to provide quality radio programming that will inform, educate, and entertain. KTTZ promotes the university to the region and provides invaluable community outreach through its network affiliations. Furthermore, KTTZ will strive to:
a. Be "THE" source of quality and excellence in radio programming at Texas Tech University;
b. Operate from a sound financial base in a fiscally responsible manner;
c. Inform, educate, and entertain a diverse and growing community of listeners;
d. Explore and implement the latest in digital broadcast technology;
e. Strive to advance the arts and cultural heritage of this area; and
f. Support, promote, and enhance the image of Texas Tech University to the community, region, and nation.
3. KTTZ's studio facilities and business offices are located in the Texas Tech Plaza building at 19th Street and University Avenue, immediately southeast of the main campus. Broadcast transmission facilities are located in the KTTZ-TV transmitter building at 15th Street and Joliet Avenue at the base of the 817-foot broadcast tower.
4. KTTZ broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with a format of classical music, jazz, fine arts, news, and cultural programming. This programming enhances the quality of life and good will of the university to the South Plains. KTTZ's broadcast programming is also available as an online stream via the Internet at www.kttz.org. The station is affiliated with two radio networks, National Public Radio (NPR) and Public Radio International (PRI).
5. KTTZ-FM is funded by public subscriptions, federal and local grants, community contributions, and by the university. It is managed and staffed by Texas Tech employees and community volunteers.
6. KTTZ-FM personnel are responsible for the management, maintenance, and operation of radio broadcasting facilities, including the radio studios and office areas, broadcast transmitter, and other specific support equipment. Requests for access to and use of facilities by others can be made as dictated by university-approved procedures. Requests should be submitted to the station manager of KTTZ-FM, who is responsible for routing such requests to proper administrative officials.
7. Programming requests and ideas should be submitted to the KTTZ program director. A KTTZ Program Proposal Form is available for this purpose and will help provide the necessary information needed to review the proposal.
8. KTTZ-FM is responsible for programming broadcasts for the Texas Tech University bell towers. Refer to OP 30.14, Playing Electronic Music from University Bell Towers, for additional information and about requesting a broadcast from the university bell towers for special events or purposes.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking