[Date changed–posted 12/6/17 (replaces 3/21/16 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 69.03: Replacement of Payroll Checks
DATE: December 6, 2017
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to establish the policy and procedure for issuing replacement payroll checks that have been reported lost or stolen.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in October of odd-numbered years by the Managing Director of Payroll & Tax Services and the Managing Director of University Financial Services with substantive revisions forwarded to the Vice President for Administration & Finance and Chief Financial Officer.
1. Persons whose payroll checks are lost or stolen may apply for replacement checks by initiating a stop payment request in Payroll & Tax Services.
2. The check amount, check number, and date issued is obtained from the payroll records and included on the Stop Payment Request form (see attachment). University Financial Service (UFS) will review online banking records in order to determine whether the check has cleared the bank.
3. If the original check has not cleared, UFS will void the check through the online banking system. Once this is complete, UFS will notify Payroll & Tax Services to issue a replacement check, which must be issued with a new check number.
4. If the bank or a third party notifies Texas Tech that the check has been presented for payment, a replacement check will not be issued until there is further investigation.
5. The person requesting the stop payment is responsible for notifying Payroll & Tax Services if the original check is found. The person will be requested to return the original check to Payroll & Tax Services for destruction if a replacement check has been issued.
6. If the original check has already cleared, UFS will send a copy of both sides of the check to Payroll & Tax Services. A copy of the endorsement will be provided to the person requesting the stop payment. If the endorsement is a forgery, the person will be directed to the bank to submit an Unauthorized Check Activity Form.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking