[Minor revision–posted 8/11/14 (replaces 3/26/12 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 80.04: Disposal of Motor Vehicles as Surplus Property
DATE: August 11, 2014
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to implement the state of Texas Vehicle Fleet Management Plan as developed in accordance with Government Code, Section 2171.104, and to establish procedures for the sale of university motor vehicles.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in May of even-numbered years by the Assistant Vice President for Operations and the Property Manager with substantive revisions forwarded through administrative channels to the Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer.
1. The sale of university vehicles as surplus property will be coordinated with the Surplus Property Manager in accordance with OP 63.07, Disposal of Surplus, Obsolete, or Uneconomically Repairable Inventory, and OP 63.08, Property Management.
2. The Vehicle Custodian is responsible for completing the Request for Authority to Remove Equipment from Departmental Inventory form (see attachment). The original request form should be forwarded to the Property Manager, Mail Stop 1091 with a copy sent to the Vehicle Fleet Management Office, Mail Stop 3142, and to the Surplus Manager, Mail Stop 1094.
3. After the appropriate paperwork has been processed, the vehicle will be turned in to the Physical Plant garage where the exempt license plates will be removed and forwarded to Vehicle Fleet Management for proper disposal. The Texas Tech University insignia and TTU inventory number will also be removed from the vehicle.
4. The Vehicle Fleet Manager notifies surplus property of any vehicles that are to be sold and supplies original vehicle titles and registration to surplus property.
5. If the vehicle for sale has been severely damaged, the Vehicle Fleet Manager will process the paperwork to convert the title to salvage status.
6. Once a buyer has been established and payment has been received, the surplus manager will transfer the original title to the new owner.
7. Upon title transfer, the vehicle will be released to the purchaser.
8. The Surplus Manager will complete the "Sale of Surplus Property Section" of the Request for Authority to Remove Property from Departmental Inventory (see attachment) and forward it to the Vehicle Fleet Management Office at Mail Stop 3142 and to Property Management at Mail Stop 1091.
9. The Property Manager will remove the vehicle from the inventory system. Fleet Management will notify the Procurement Services to remove the sold vehicle from insurance coverage.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking