Committee for Advising, Retention, & Student Success
What is CARS?
High-quality academic advising and support resources are major contributors to the success of students at Texas Tech University. Continually improving the institution's student success requires deliberate investment in these important elements.
The Committee for Advising, Retention, and Success (CARS) provides a consistent opportunity for representatives from academic and support units to invest in matters that affect academic advising, campus success resources, re-enrollment and retention, persistence and progress-toward-degree, campus engagement, and college transfer.
CARS meetings encourage communication, foster collaboration, and facilitate the development of creative solutions to important campus challenges, particularly those with many stakeholders but no singular 'owner.' Through its various workgroups, CARS explores, considers, and recommends a wide variety of improvements to policies, procedures, and priorities. Reporting back to the larger team, workgroups see their contributions refined and put into action as each CARS member returns to their own particular responsibilities. Keeping in mind the university's vision and strategic commitments, CARS plays an important part in improving the University's work to support positive student outcomes. As appropriate, CARS involves and supports all academic and support units in its work.
Administration & Executive Steering Group
- Patrick Hughes
- Cathy Duran
- Rachel Jackson - Liaison to Assessment Workgroup
- Ryan Scheckel - Liaison to Success Workgroup
- Ashlee Brown - Liaison to Advising Workgroup
- Cathe Nutter - Liaison to Retention Workgroup
- Joshua Barron - Liaison to Communication Workgroup
- Connie Watson – (chair)
- John Thomas – Information Technology
- Crystal Garcia – Engineering
- Brenda Martinez – Registrar
- Rachel Jackson – Liaison
- VACANT (Chair)
- Jay Killough – University Career Center
- Zach Manning – Transition & Engagement
- Brandi Schreiber – Student Disability Services
- Debra Crosby – MVP
- Lori Rodriguez – College of Architecture
- Ryan Scheckel – PPHC (liaison)
- Michelle Kiser – Chair
- Jackie Manz – Arts & Sciences
- Stephanie Legako - CASNR
- Sarah Schwintz – University Programs
- Adrienne Carnes – Rawls
- Catherine Nutter - Liaison
- DaNay Phelps, Community College and Transfer Relations - Co-Chair
- Sarah Hatley - Co-Chair
- Erin Justyna - CALUE
- Rodney Lackey, Athletics
- Kacey Marshall, National Wind Institute
- Julia Heard, CMoC
- Ashlee W Brown, Human Sciences - Liaison
The CARS Communication workgroup facilitates the committee's internal and external communications, maintains administrative aspects of the CARS committee, promotes improvements in related campus communications and marketing efforts, provides project management and reporting coordination for the committee, and promotes the celebration of Texas Tech's accomplishments in the realms of advising, retention, and student success.
- Erika Bowles, University Student Housing: Chair
- Kathy Nordstrom, VPA
- Savannah Chambers, CASNR
- Laura Heinz, University Libraries
- Joshua Barron, Student Success & Retention: Steering Liaison
What has CARS done for Red Raider Success?
What is CARS working on now?
Where can I learn more about CARS and how to get involved?
Come to a meeting! If you're interested, please email email@example.com.