The U.S. CSB Investigation
The U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB) began an investigation following the Jan. 7, 2010 accident.
On Oct. 20, 2011, the U.S. CSB released its video "Experimenting with Danger" that highlights hazards associated with conducting research at chemical laboratories in academic institutions. The video focuses on CSB Case Study on Texas Tech University accident and laboratory deaths at UCLA and Dartmouth.
On Oct. 19, 2011, the U.S. CSB released a report of its findings regarding an investigation of the Jan. 7, 2010, serious accident at Texas Tech University.
Information from the CSB Website on the Jan. 7, 2010 accident at Texas tech university. Site includes an accident description, links to CSB news releases and investigation photos.
News Releases & Memos
- CSB Status Changed to "Open- Acceptable Response" – May 22, 2012
- TTU Notification Letter – Oct. 24, 2011
- Release of "Experimenting with Danger" video – Oct. 20, 2011
- CSB Releases Investigation into 2010 Texas Tech Laboratory Accident; Case Study Identifies Systemic Deficiencies in University Safety Management Practices – Oct. 19, 2011
- Release of Accident Scene – Jan. 31, 2010
- Memo from CSB – Jan. 19, 2010
- Memo from CSB – Jan. 13, 2010
- Information and Records Request – Jan. 12, 2010
- Memo from CSB – Jan. 12, 2010
- CSB to Investigate Laboratory Explosion at Texas Tech University Chemistry Department