[Major revision–posted 6/4/19 (replaces 8/24/09 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 01.04: Custodian of Public Records
DATE: June 4, 2019
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Texas Tech University Operating Policy and Procedure (OP) is to define the steps involved for the release of public information and collection of any charges for copies if a request should arise pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act.*
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in February of every fourth year by the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel of the Texas Tech University System with recommendations for revisions forwarded to the President. This OP will be reviewed again in 2023.
1. The President has designated the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel for the Texas Tech University System (TTUS) as the Public Information Act Officer for public records for TTU. The Vice Chancellor and General Counsel is authorized to delegate the duties of the Public Information Act Officer to an attorney(s) within the Office of General Counsel.
2. Consequently, TTU follows TTUS Regulation 07.01 regarding the handling of public requests and the assessment of any charges for fulfilling requests. TTUS Regulation 07.01 is available here.
3. A request for public records should be made in writing and should specify the institution and the records or information sought. E-mailed requests must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered valid.
4. If a request is received by a TTU employee, the TTU employee shall immediately contact the TTUS Office of General Counsel at 806.742.2155 or forward the request by email to email@example.com.
5. Student education records are not public records and are generally prohibited from disclosure by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
* Tex. Govt. Code § 552.001, et seq.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking