[Minor revision–posted 2/12/20 (replaces 6/15/16 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 10.05: Intercollegiate Athletics
DATE: February 12, 2020
PURPOSE: This Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) describes the procedures to be followed to ensure that the Texas Tech University (TTU) Department of Intercollegiate Athletics remains in compliance with all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Big 12 Athletic Conference, and TTU rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in June of each year by the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Faculty Athletics Representative with substantive revisions submitted to the President.
The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Faculty Athletics Representative will be responsible for implementing the following procedures to ensure that the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics remains in compliance with all rules governing intercollegiate athletics established by the NCAA, Big 12, or TTU.
1. The President, Faculty Athletics Representative, and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics will meet annually, usually in September, with all Athletics Department personnel to discuss the importance of and need for strict adherence to NCAA, Big 12, and Texas Tech rules and the consequences of noncompliance.
2. The President will meet annually with all head coaches to discuss the President's expectations for NCAA rules compliance. In addition, the Faculty Athletics Representative, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, and Senior Associate Athletics Director for compliance will meet annually with head coaches to discuss their expectations for rules compliance. Each head coach will be held accountable for ensuring that they, their staff, and their student athletes adhere strictly to all rules.
3. At least once every four years, the institution's rules-compliance program will be evaluated by an authority outside of the Athletics Department.
4. The Athletics Compliance Office staff will review annually pertinent NCAA rules with student-athletes and inform them of the possible consequences of noncompliance.
5. The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics will require all coaching staff and sport specific personnel to attend regular compliance meetings and be responsible for information that is presented.
6. The Chief Executive Officer will select an independent audit firm each year to perform agreed upon procedures on the annual financial statements of Intercollegiate Athletics. The agreed upon procedures report, when completed, will be given to the university President and will be made available to the Regents.
7. The Compliance Office (as part of the annual education plan) will provide information annually to all season ticket holders and athletic donors outlining pertinent NCAA rules.
8. Coaches and/or designated sport specific staff are required to log recruiting and time management plan activity per Compliance Office direction. The Compliance Office monitors this activity per NCAA rules and retains information for at least six years.
9. Education will be provided to new coaches by the Compliance Office regarding the compliance program and, specifically, NCAA, Big 12, and Texas Tech rules. Additionally, all new Athletics Department staff will be provided with education produced by the Compliance Office that reviews NCAA and Texas Tech rules and will acknowledge their responsibility regarding such. Athletics Personnel Office will retain acknowledgement.
10. All coaches and athletic staff members are instructed to contact the Compliance Office with any question regarding NCAA, Big 12, or Texas Tech rules for a rules interpretation or understanding of whether or not an action or activity is permissible.
11. If a suspected or alleged violation occurs, it shall be reported to the Faculty Athletics Representative or Compliance Office and will be reported to the President consistent with Texas Tech's NCAA enforcement policy. Allegations resulting in a violation will be reported to the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA as required.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking