[Moderate revision–posted 10/25/17 (replaces 2/4/15 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 52.03: Telecommunications Services
DATE: October 25, 2017
PURPOSE: Telecommunications, a department of the Texas Tech University (TTU) Information Technology (IT) Division, provides telecommunications services to the entire TTU community. These services include, but are not limited to, data, telephone, video, messaging, and audio/video conferencing, wireless, and other network-related services. The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to outline a policy to standardize network equipment placed into service at any facility and the method by which this equipment is procured, received, routed, installed, maintained, and reviewed.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in November of even-numbered years by the Managing Director of Telecommunications and the IT Policy and Planning Officer who will recommend substantive revisions to the TTU Chief Information Officer (CIO).
The Telecommunications department is responsible for operating and standardizing telecommunications services and equipment for the TTU campuses, maintaining compatibility and interoperability for the TTU network (both wired and wireless network environments), and providing trained staff for equipment maintenance and warranty enforcement. This policy applies to all telecommunications services at TTU, whether the local network is connected to the main campus network or not.
1. Telecommunications will provide all:
a. Network communications services including, but not limited to, network design and installation, address assignment, routing, DNS, DHCP, Active Directory Services, user accounts, telephone, email, messaging, and audio/visual conferencing.
b. Data network equipment including, but not limited to, hubs, switches, bridges, routers, wireless network access points, network gateways, network firewalls, VPN concentrators, and remote access devices.
c. Telephony and conferencing equipment and services including, but not limited to, phone handsets, handset accessories, conferencing multipoint control units (MCU), and hardware video codecs. Departmental deployment of paid Internet telephony services (e.g., Vonage, Skype, etc.) are prohibited unless approved by the Managing Director of Telecommunications.
2. All use of the TTU network environment is subject to TTU IT security policies located at http://www.infotech.ttu.edu/security and other TTU IT OPs.
3. All requests for external internet service or circuits must be reviewed and facilitated by the Telecommunications Department. Once approved by Telecommunications, departments are responsible for initiation and termination dates and costs associated with the service. Requests for telecommunication services and support, including data and telephone equipment and lines, should be made to the Telecommunications department at http://www.net.ttu.edu.
4. All procurement of building control systems (e.g., networked security cameras), regardless of cost, are subject to review and approval by the TTU CIO. Installation of building control systems must be coordinated through the TTU Office of the CIO, as required by OP 52.04, Information Technology (IT) Security.
5. All network and telephone equipment and services are subject to a mandatory review by the Managing Director of Telecommunications. Procurement for the equipment and services must be authorized by the Managing Director of Telecommunications.
6. When the requirements and needs of an individual department cannot be met by the existing data network, Telecommunications will work with the department and outside vendors to develop effective and compatible solutions where possible.
7. It is recommended that each department evaluate its communication needs during an emergency, power outage, or hazardous incident to ensure appropriate procedures and backup modes of communications are in place.
8. Telecommunications services are a mission-critical information resource of Texas Tech University. As such, all construction and renovation of facilities shall conform to the network architecture/engineering design information standards found at http://www.net.ttu.edu/ae. The Telecommunications department shall be included during the requirements/design/construction phases of all major Facilities Planning & Construction and/or the Operations Division construction and renovation projects to ensure the telecommunications needs are adequately addressed in the project, the associated costs for the required telephone systems are properly included in the cost of the project, and the equipment is properly installed.
9. Non-business use of the Texas Tech University communications system that results in any direct cost to TTU is not allowed. Non-business use of a local telephone service is permitted as long as that use is of minimal duration, does not impede employee function, and does not result in additional cost to TTU. In the event that it is necessary for an employee to incur an additional charge from a TTU telephone for non-business use, a personal calling card, collect, or third party charge should be used. If the non-business use of TTU communications services results in a direct cost to TTU for any reason, it is the employee's responsibility to reimburse the cost to TTU. The use of the data network and/or telephone system for private commercial purposes is strictly prohibited regardless of whether or not it results in an additional charge to TTU.
10. The TTU CIO has final authority on all TTU IT-related issues, including exceptions to existing IT policies.
11. Right to Change Policy
Texas Tech University reserves the right to interpret, change, modify, amend, or rescind this policy, in whole or in part, at any time without the consent of employees or students.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking