[Minor revision–posted 10/30/23 (replaces 8/19/19 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 76.09: Abandoned Personal Property
DATE: October 30, 2023
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to establish a standard procedure for the handling, control, and disposal of abandoned personal property on the Texas Tech campus.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in August of every fourth year by the Chief of Police, the Senior Managing Director of Cash and Credit Management Services, and the Office of General Counsel with substantive revisions forwarded to the Senior Vice President for Administration & Finance and Chief Financial Officer.
1. Section 51.213, “Abandoned Personal Property,” of the Texas Education Code states:
“The governing board of each state institution of higher education, including public junior colleges, is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations providing for the disposition of abandoned and unclaimed personal property coming into the possession of the campus security personnel where the personal property is not being held as evidence to be used in any pending criminal case.”
2. All abandoned personal property is to be turned in to the Texas Tech Police Department. All unclaimed or abandoned personal property, with exceptions, which shall remain unclaimed for a period of 30 days, shall be transferred to the Texas Tech Property Manager who will arrange to pick up the property and, thereafter, handle it in accordance with established procedure for the disposal of surplus property. Property that cannot be sold at surplus are drugs, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, and contraband.
3. The following records will be maintained by the Texas Tech Police Department for all abandoned personal property received:
a. Description of each item;
b. Date received;
c. Name and address of owner, if known;
d. If claimed by owner, date, time it was claimed, and proof of identification;
e. Date property was picked up by the Texas Tech Property Manager; and
f. Signature for receipt of property picked up by the Texas Tech Property Manager.
4. Abandoned bicycles that have been impounded by Transportation & Parking Services (those parked on Texas Tech property, not moved for a period of 30 days, and which are not claimed) will be kept in the possession of Transportation & Parking Services for a period of at least 30 days after coming into the possession of the department. Thereafter, the Texas Tech Property Manager will arrange to pick up the bicycles and handle them in accordance with established procedure for the disposal of surplus property.
5. All money turned in to the Texas Tech Police Department will be held until the owner is identified and claims the money or for a period of 30 days, whichever is less. Any money not claimed within the 30-day period will be hand carried to the Office of Cash and Credit Management Services on the campus where the money was found. The Office of Cash and Credit Management Services will deposit the money into the appropriate Texas Tech escrow account.
6. Any abandoned cash that remains in the escrow accounts after three years should be reported to the state treasurer as abandoned personal property, in compliance with Chapter 74 of the Texas Property Code.
7. The Texas Tech Police will comply with all legal waiting periods, statutes, and procedures before releasing any property to the Texas Tech Property Manager for disposal.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking
Operating Policies & Procedures
AddressTexas Tech Downtown Center Room 218