[Minor revision–posted 10/6/22 (replaces 4/30/20 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 77.03: Reporting Student Deaths
DATE: October 6, 2022
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to establish procedures for reporting Texas Tech University student deaths in an orderly and timely manner.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in March of even-numbered years by the Assistant Dean of Students - Students of Concern with substantive revisions presented to the Dean of Students and Vice Provost for Student Life
a. Any person (faculty, staff, student, family, friend, etc.) who has personal knowledge of the death of a currently enrolled Texas Tech University student should notify the Office of the Dean of Students, which will provide notification and make any necessary administrative arrangements.
b. In the event that a student death occurs on campus, the Texas Tech Police Department should be notified immediately and subsequent action taken under its direction.
c. In the event of a death in the residence halls, the residence hall staff should notify the Texas Tech Police Department and their immediate supervisor(s) including the Managing Director of University Student Housing
d. The Texas Tech Police Department shall notify the Dean of Students (or designee) of any student death occurring on or off campus that may come to its attention.
a. Upon notification and verification of a student death, the Dean of Students (or designee) shall:
(1) Notify the President, who will notify the Provost and Senior Vice President and the Chancellor;
(2) Determine that the proper notification has been made to the family;
(3) Coordinate appropriate action necessary on the part of the university to resolve personal matters related to the deceased and that relationship with the university;
(4) Telephone the parent(s)/guardian(s) and express condolences on behalf of the university and establish a point of contact for the parent(s)/guardian(s) should the parent(s)/guardian(s) need to make contact with the university in the future; and
(5) Take the necessary steps to notify and clear university records in the following offices:
(a) Undergraduate Admissions
(c) Provost and Senior Vice President, academic deans, department chairs, and instructors
(d) University Student Housing
(e) Hospitality Services
(f) Student Financial Aid
(g) Student Business Services
(h) Transportation & Parking Services
(i) Student Health Services
(j) Graduate Dean (if the student is enrolled in the Graduate School)
(k) Human Resources
(l) Institutional Advancement
(m) Texas Tech Alumni Association
(n) The Daily Toreador/La Ventana
(o) University Career Center
(p) Texas Tech Police Department
(q) Texas Tech Communications & Marketing
(r) Parent and Family Relations
(s) Student Counseling Center
(t) Information Technology
(u) University Student ID
(v) Military & Veterans Programs (if the student is a veteran)
(w) Office of Student Conduct
(x) Auxiliary Services
(y) Grounds Maintenance
(z) Student Media
(aa) Student Union & Activities
(bb) Student Government Association
(cc) Transition and Engagement
(dd) Student Support and Success
(ee) Other administrators involved as necessary
(6) Request through the Texas Tech Police Department the lowering of the Texas Tech flag, as may be appropriate.
(7) Notify Communications & Marketing and The Daily Toreador, the campus newspaper, of the name of the student(s) in whose memory the flag is lowered. Provide notification to the university community via TechAnnounce and/or other appropriate means of communication on the day the Texas Tech flag is lowered.
(8) Request that the Vice Provost for Student Life and/or the President write to the parent(s)/guardian(s) on behalf of the university, as may be appropriate.
(9) Contact the Senior Vice President for Administration & Finance and Chief Financial Officer (or designee) regarding potential refunds. Should a refund be appropriate, notice will be provided to the Managing Director of Student Business Services, who will process any refunds and forward them to the Office of the Dean of Students to forward to the family of the deceased student.
(10) The Office of the Dean of Students will coordinate the creation and routing of certificates of completion as well as obtain copies of the student's transcripts for the family of the deceased student.
(11) Notify the Student Activities Board in order to recognize the deceased student at the annual TECHsan Memorial during Homecoming.
b. If the deceased is an international student, the responsibilities noted in sections (3) and (4) will be carried out by the Dean of Students (or designee) in conjunction with the Office of International Affairs. Notification of the family, immigration, and other appropriate governmental agencies and making the necessary burial arrangements shall be the responsibility of the Office of International Affairs.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking
Operating Policies & Procedures
AddressTexas Tech Downtown Center Room 218