Terry Foundation Scholarship
For First Time in College Students
The Terry Foundation was established in 1986 by Houstonians Howard and Nancy Terry out of a desire to help young people to help themselves. The Foundation's goal is to strengthen the State of Texas by identifying Texas high school graduates who have the promise of future leadership distinction and assisting them in developing their future and the future of those around them.
The 2021/2022 Terry scholarship application has closed.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- Have a record of leadership in school and community
- Have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Show strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades, class rank, and ACT or SAT scores
- Be a 2021 graduate from a Texas high school or Texas home-school
- Be admitted to Texas Tech University as a full-time student for 2021-2022
- Reside on campus for the first year at Texas Tech University - Lubbock
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- To determine if you might be eligible to apply for and/or receive the Terry Scholarship, please review the Terry Freshmen Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions.
How to Apply
Complete the application for admission to Texas Tech University before the December 15 priority deadline. Eligible candidates are identified through their completed admissions file and will receive a Terry Scholars application from Student Financial Aid & Scholarships. Candidates will be required to submit the following items:
- Completed Texas Tech University Terry Scholars application, available October 1
- Two letters of professional recommendation from teachers or employers who are non-family members. Letters will be uploaded as part of the online application.
- Two essays, which are included on the Terry Scholarship application.
November 31 - Complete FAFSA beginning October 1 at studentaid.gov.
Apply for Admission
December 15 - Submit a completed application for admission, including supplemental information and transcripts to Texas Tech. Apply here.
Apply for Housing
February 28 - Complete on-campus housing reservation at housing.ttu.edu.
Apply to the Terry Scholars Program
January 8 - Final date to submit a completed Terry Scholars application.
Terry Scholar award amounts are determined annually based on the cost of attendance
at TTU, including tuition, fees, books, on-campus room and board and miscellaneous
expenses. The actual amount of the award will vary for each scholar depending on other
scholarship awards and the ability of the scholar's family to contribute to the cost
of college. The Terry Foundation Board of Directors will determine awards beyond the
first year (renewal awards) for Terry Scholars meeting the required continuing scholarship
criteria. Awards average $120,000 over a four-year period.
First, complete the application for admission to Texas Tech University before the
December 15 priority deadline. Eligible candidates are identified through their completed
admissions file and will receive a Terry application from the university.
After applications are received by the university a committee reviews the applications and sends forward a select few to the foundation for consideration in February. From there several will be called and invited to interview with a panel in April or May.
The interview panel will select the incoming class of Terrys for the following fall.
To continue receiving these scholarships each year, you must meet the following renewal criteria:
- maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (most Terry Scholars maintain cumulative GPAs over 3.0)
- maintain full-time student status
- annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- write an acceptable, annual, self-evaluation letter
- attend all functions sponsored by the Terry Foundation (3 per year)
- live in on-campus housing at Murray Hall for the first year
- comply with the rules prescribed by the University and the Foundation Board of Directors
Approximately 45 candidates will be nominated by the Texas Tech University (TTU) for the fall of 2021 for a limited number of Terry Scholar spots at Texas Tech for incoming freshmen. The nominees' applications will be forwarded to the foundation for review and selection. All final decisions regarding Terry Foundation Scholarship awards and award amounts are made by the foundation. The successful TTU Terry Scholar will be prepared to be actively involved with campus activities
A special TTU student organization for Terry Scholars will offer recipients the opportunity to develop a community service agenda. Learn more at www.techterryscholars.com/.
Texas Tech Coordinator
Terry Scholars Program