Doctor of Philosophy in Systems & Engineering Management
The online doctoral degree in systems and engineering management is designed to prepare individuals for successful leadership of engineering personnel and projects. Texas Tech University is currently the only University in the state of Texas that offers an online program, making it a clear choice for individuals who seek management opportunities in engineering and technology.
- 72 credit hours
- Coursework is completed online.
- Students are not required to enroll in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual. Learn more about the difference between part-time and full-time student status.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enroll at the beginning of any one of the four semesters throughout the year.
- Related online programs:
- Master of Science in Systems and Engineering Management
To be considered for full admission status, an applicant must complete all of the requirements listed below. Applicants are encouraged to submit high GRE scores, but admission to the graduate program is not based on the GRE scores alone.
Successful applicants are expected to have at least a 3.5 GPA from an M.S. program in a related field.
Step 1: Apply to Texas Tech University's Graduate School by completing the Graduate Admissions application process.
- The initial application fee is $60. Each subsequent application is $50.
- Applicants must submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores to the Graduate School. Learn more.
- International applicants must also submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to the Graduate School. Scores must be less than two years old at the time of application. Learn more.
Step 2: Apply to Texas Tech University's College of Engineering.
- After a candidate is evaluated and approved by the Graduate School, application materials will be passed to the College of Engineering, which will begin the second phase of the application process. Applicants do not need to submit any additional materials at this time.
- A conditional application status may be issued by the College of Engineering. Learn more.
Step 3: Check your admissions status. Texas Tech University will notify you of your admissions status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink. If accepted, you will receive a comprehensive orientation email with a list of pertinent websites and resources.
No financial support is anticipated for online students because the majority are part-time students working in the industry. Fill-time online students will be eligible for a number of competitive and merit-based department, college and university scholarships and fellowships.
Online coursework is completed using a combination of online instruction and interactive video conferencing (IVC).
Core Curriculum (24 semester hours)
- IE 5316 Simulation Models for Operations Analysis
- IE 5320 Systems Theory
- IE 5321 Decision Theory and Management Science
- IE 5323 The Engineering Management Environment
- IE 5325 Productivity and Performance Improvement in Organizations
- IE 6329 Systems Management Seminar*
- IE 6331 Advanced Theoretical Studies in Systems Management*
- IE 6399 Research Methods in Science and Technology*
Major and Minor (60 semester hours)
- Course selection dependent upon degree plan approved by graduate advisor and Systems and Engineering Management Program Coordinator.
Dissertation Research (12 semester hours)
* Indicated courses used to fulfill the program's residency requirement. Courses are taught exclusively in the summer, when online students must be in-residence. Residency consists of a one-month summer session during each of the first two years of the doctoral program.
- Pentium 4-based computer system or greater
- Windows XP/Vista/7 operating system
- Internet access (any browser)
- Windows Media Player to play video lectures